Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping while driving/commuting

Default Pumping while driving/commuting

Many ladies here have suggested pumping while commuting. I have a one hour drive each way so pumping while driving seems like a good use of time. Can any of you who have been successful (or unsuccessful) with this provide details of how this is done? Any advice is appreciated.

I commute alone, however two-thirds of the time is spent in bumper to bumper traffic. My biggest concern seems to be modesty and being discreet.

Default Re: Pumping while driving/commuting

I used a nursing cover to keep everything modest while doing this. I'd set everything up and get the pump going before starting the car (under the cover of course), then drive. If I was driving for a longer distance I usually made a short stop to put the bottles away. If you have a strong supply (and especially if you're pumping in the morning), an hour will be way too long to pump and you'll need to at least turn the pump off, and maybe pull over and take everything apart, to avoid overflowing your bottles and spilling milk all over your nice work clothes. The nursing cover is suprisingly modest, so that was never an issue. I don't think other drivers can tell at all. If you need more, Mommal was suggesting a rain parka recently and that would provide even more coverage (but sounds a bit sticky hot).

ETA: If you're in stop and go traffic, you may even be able to do some discreet breast compressions.

Also, I would usually put a towel or cloth diaper on my lap to hopefully catch spills. It's all coming back to me now (I'll probably be doing this again soon!).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm very odd in that I decided to try to use my manual while driving...now hear me out: My drive is all of 8 minutes, I drive home between 11:30-midnight and I have strong hands so one-handed pumping was easy.

I used one of my...well I don't know what you'd call it...a jacket but is thin tee-shirt material that doesn't actually close at all, it just drapes off you...anyways, I'd buckle up, put that on backwards (so the back was on my front and basically a cover, with my arms through the sleeves), then adjust my shirt, put on the pump, and go.

The one time I did it after a morning shift and people were actually on the road, I don't think anyone noticed.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Hands free bra, hook up before starting the car, cover up with a cover or with your shirt and turn it on and make sure it feels Ok before driving off. I used to leave it and not try to take it off while driving ipunless the car was off.

PumpinPals were a total disaster during car pumping. Disaster for me in general, but usually a huge mess while driving.

A towel on your lap protects your work clothes from drips.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh yeah, a hands free setup that works for you is absolutely critical.

A manual pump while driving???! Don't try this at home, kids.

I never tried to take the horns off while driving either. For one thing, there are always little leaks and spills. Also, not safe! But I would leave the pump in the passenger seat where I could easily switch it off.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hands free bra, nursing cover and car adaptor for pump. Set all up before starting to drive and your set.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I do it at least twice a day. It's easy once you practice a few times.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Oh yeah, a hands free setup that works for you is absolutely critical.

A manual pump while driving???! Don't try this at home, kids.

I never tried to take the horns off while driving either. For one thing, there are always little leaks and spills. Also, not safe! But I would leave the pump in the passenger seat where I could easily switch it off.
    lol yeah. I don't do it anymore, it was just while I was "out of stock" and DH wasn't sleeping when I would get home. I figure, people eat nasty messy hamburgers while driving, or ice cream, or french fries (not to mention I've seen women putting on makeup while driving)...that's all done one-handedly, how is my pumping any different?

I pump and drive all the time, I set my pump up and get everything ready, hook up my pump ease bra, then I turn on the pump and make sure everything feels right, then I put on a light weight thin scarf over pumping parts, I've gone through drive thrus before, none can tell. If I'm on the way home I'll just walk in side with parts still hooked up and take it off when I get inside!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raejoy View Post
    lol yeah. I don't do it anymore, it was just while I was "out of stock" and DH wasn't sleeping when I would get home. I figure, people eat nasty messy hamburgers while driving, or ice cream, or french fries (not to mention I've seen women putting on makeup while driving)...that's all done one-handedly, how is my pumping any different?
    Not that any of those activities are perfectly safe either.

Mostly I'm just impressed! Seriously, maybe you live in a quieter part of the world than I do, but in California, you're taking your life into your hands getting on the freeway, so I would not recommend makeup, burgers, OR manual pumps.

You can call me JoMo!