Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make more milk

Default make more milk

Previously I had a big problem with oversupply and an overactive letdown.
    Now, my son has just hit 3 months, I'm back at work, and am not pumping as much as my friends with similarly aged babies.
    They tell me they can pump 8 ounces plus, every 2 hours.
    I can only pump around 5 at that same interval.
    They both have a lot of excess that they can store each day, while my measely 10 ounces MUST be supplemented with formula in order to make DesiBears required 16 ounces ( bottle feeding while at work ).

I don't get it.
    I nurse EVERY chance I get; between pt and work, on lunch, evenings, nights and weekends but I still don't make gallons like my friends do.

...I need some advice, because I'm tired of supplementing with formula. I want to be able to pump those required 16 ounces.

It's easy enough to say " stop supplementing ", but if I don't, he's left with 10 ounces, which he can easily devour between 0900 & 1200.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: make more milk

Forgot to add;
    1 hour of exercise every business day, fenugreek religiously, lactation cookies with brewers yeast, oats, and flax meal, and tons of water- 1 gallon plus
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Your friends are lucky. It's rare for women to produce that much milk that quickly. I'm willing to bet that eventually their output will decrease to something closer to the more typical 1.5 oz per hour. Most women who pump every 3 hours are getting 2-4 oz of milk.

When moms have trouble meeting their babies' bottle requirements, the best things they can do are to remove more milk from the breast more often. That often means upgrading your pump, shortening your pumping intervals (say, every 2 hours instead of every 3), and sometimes even pumping outside of work, after baby has fed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Pumping five ounces every two hours is pretty great output. Most moms would be thrilled to get that much!

How long are you at work? I ask because 16 ounces is quite a bit for a little one to be taking in. The general rule is 1-1.5 ounces per hour that you're away. Which, if you're working 10+ hours a day would make sense, but then I would assume you'd be pumping more than twice a day. It actually sounds to me like your little one is getting over-fed, which is easy to do with a bottle. I would look at reducing the amount he's taking in, rather than trying to pump more. Mainly because it sounds like you're doing everything you can to increase your supply and, like I said, 5 oz per session is an abundant output. The other option, that you might want to do in addition to trying to reduce intake, would be to add in another pumping session at some point during the day or maybe in the evening after he's gone to sleep.

Here's a really good article about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby that you might want to check out and maybe share with your care providers to make sure they aren't overfeeding.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    Pumping five ounces every two hours is pretty great output. Most moms would be thrilled to get that much!

How long are you at work? I ask because 16 ounces is quite a bit for a little one to be taking in. The general rule is 1-1.5 ounces per hour that you're away. Which, if you're working 10+ hours a day would make sense, but then I would assume you'd be pumping more than twice a day. It actually sounds to me like your little one is getting over-fed, which is easy to do with a bottle. I would look at reducing the amount he's taking in, rather than trying to pump more. Mainly because it sounds like you're doing everything you can to increase your supply and, like I said, 5 oz per session is an abundant output. The other option, that you might want to do in addition to trying to reduce intake, would be to add in another pumping session at some point during the day or maybe in the evening after he's gone to sleep.

Here's a really good article about bottlefeeding the breastfed baby that you might want to check out and maybe share with your care providers to make sure they aren't overfeeding.
    I go from 0500-0500.
    At 0500, we wake up together and I nurse before PT.
    I get back from PT at around 0720-- and we nurse again.
    work then starts at 0900 and i pump at 1000.
    I pump at 1000 instead of 0900 because lunch is at 1130, and at that time I go home to nurse rather than pump at 9 and then 11.
    I get back from lunch at 1300, so we nurse from 1145- as long as he wants.
    I pump again at 1400 (2 pm) and we usually leave at 1630, then i nurse from then on.
    so that's why it comes down to pumping twice.

16oz min rule?! I'd question that for sure, though I'm sure they won't change it for you. It far exceeds the EBM min guideline of 1 to 1.5oz per hour you're away.

I just pumped for 15 min and got 1.5oz. 5 oz per session is terrific!

My DD is separate from me for 9 hours per day and she gets 8 to 9oz during that time. On the bottom of the spectrum, but she's healthy, so I'm not worried.

If you can pump more and follow the other advice above, it would help. But i just thought some perspective could help you feel better about what you're already doing.

That's great you are able to nurse him at lunchtime! But I really think that if he's taking 16 ounces in addition to you nursing him at lunchtime you need to talk with the care providers about how much he is being fed.

Are the bottles they are giving large? Babies tend to drink from a bottle until it's empty because it's a constant flow, unlike nursing fromt he breast where the flow comes and goes. Sometimes if you break up the bottles into smaller increments, like 2-3 ounces with a couple of 1-2 ounce top-off bottles, it gives the baby a natural break where they have time to stop and breathe, maybe burp and decide whether they are really still hungry.

You might also want to make sure you are using slow-flow nipples, which will make feedings take longer, satisfying the urge to suck. If your nipples have been used and washed many times they may not be slow-flow anymore (even if they started that way). You can check them by filling them with water. The water should drip once per second if they are slow-flow.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think he is being overfed. If you are pumping that much AND nursing at lunch, that is a lot of milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would insist on him getting smaller bottles while I was gone. Or change care providers. I always gave Joe 12 ounces for 9 hours of separation, for a whole year.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

16 oz plus lunch time nursing is a crazy huge amount!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language