Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice - Leaving for 3 days 10 month old

Default Need Advice - Leaving for 3 days 10 month old

Really looking for some advice on how to bridge the gap here.

Next weekend, I'll be leaving my DD with her (very beloved and trusted) daycare provider from at the longest Thursday morning through Sunday morning. Might be shorter, but I'm planning wost case.

She has done overnights before and is fine with that. Very comfortable and everything.

My question is - I have a stash of about 30 oz give or take. I calculate (based on how much she typically takes during the day and her night and morning nursings) she'll need 60oz to get her through that long of a time away.

I have only 8 days to save up another 30 oz, which seems impossible.

I already pump 4x per day at work and can't get more than 2 to 3oz per pump session, which is what she needs during the day.

I have a dud side, which I can pump on while she nurses on the good size morning and evening. I can add a pump session after she goes to bed, and in the night if needed.

If I still don't have enough, here are my options:

1) have the DCP supplement if needed with formula. This would be a first and I have no idea how she would react. But she's 10 months and BFing is solid. I don't fear for my supply as I'll be pumping around the clock while away. Typical concerns with a newborn and formula are just about gone. I would not continue using it after the separation...

2) have the DCP supplement if needed with cow's milk or soy milk or ???. Again - would be a first.

3) Have the DCP offer her less breast milk during the day (maybe smaller bottles), and more solids (which she LOVES). She could easily fill up on yogurt, fruit, crackers, etc. And we're headed into that territory anyway since I plan to pump wean after 12 months.

What would you do?

Default Re: Need Advice - Leaving for 3 days 10 month old

PS - she's well above average size/weight, no issues with milk supply, no nipple confusion, takes a bottle well, is in extremely robust health, and enjoys solids very much.

I would probably do a mix of 1 and 3. Plan on doing number 3, but have formula on hand for the DCP in case she needs something milk-like. She may not even drink it. I would just consider it another solid at that age.

I would not do cow's or soy milk - other people have introduced it at that age, but I would be uncomfortable having the DCP intro other milks. Also, since you would be using it to replace breastmilk - you really should use formula.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I left DS for 3 days when he was 10mo and I also didn't have enough milk to get by, according to my calculations. I had a plan in place so that my parents (who were watching him) would stretch his bottles with formula once they started to run low, but they didn't need to. Why? Because I wrote out a very specific plan for when to give him bottles and when to give him solids and they followed it TOO well. Turns out I had forgotten to tell them to give him a bottle first thing in the morning before breakfast, when I would usually nurse him. DS was perfectly happy to eat his solids breakfast and go about the rest of his day.

My point is that if your LO is into solids then you might be able to get by with less milk. Stretching 30oz over 3 days is going to be really tough, though. You may want to have a formula back-up plan in place, too.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thank you both for the replies. Yes - I have noticed that sometimes by the time I'm there for pickup, the DCP hasn't started the final bottle yet. DD seems fine (not fussy or starving)! Point being that she might not need as much when I'm away, and can make up the calories in solids.

I will be stashing away as much as I can over the next 8 days. I'm hoping an average of 3 or 4 extra oz per day.

I'm thinking I'll send her to daycare with some formula (in addition to her EBM) tomorrow just to confirm she'll take it. She'll have plenty of milk in case she doesn't take it. It would be good to know if we're going to have to deal with outright refusal of formula.

Sassypants - great reminder - and yes I'll write very specific instructions for feeding. Hopefully not forgetting a bottle ;-)

It's hard to even get my mind around the idea of giving formula at this point. In the beginning I had to be so protective to push against the influence to give it...

Any other pointers are welcome!

Thanks!

It would be hard for me to wrap my head around giving formula too. Especially if you were only short by one bottle a day or something like that... it seems like that could easily be made up with an extra serving of yogurt and some water.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I like it Tracie. She'll eat yogurt even if she has refused every other solid food in my house!!

My point about forgetting to tell them to give a bottle was that, in the end, it wasn't a big deal and it enabled them to stretch my milk further. Maybe you could purposefully leave out a milk feeding and replace it with solids.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.