Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Newbie with several questions

Question Breastfeeding Newbie with several questions

Hello! My LO is 2 weeks old today and so far BFing is going well. I was induced at 37wks 2 days because they were worried she was growth restricted and the placenta had stopped functioning properly. She weighed 4 lbs. 12 oz at birth, was down to 4 lbs 7 oz when we left the hospital and three days later, at our first dr apt, she had maintained that weight (I was excited!). At our first dr apt, the dr was worried about output, she wasn't peeing enough. So, the doc recommended we supplement, at least offer, 1 oz of formula, 4 times a day for at least 24 hrs, just to prevent jaundice. I was frustrated and didn't want to do it but followed the doc's advice. I only did it the four times and really worked at the BFing on demand. In two days, my LO gained 4 oz and was having appropriate outputs so I stopped the supplementing. We go back on Monday and she will be weighed again so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's gaining appropriately without the formula. Here is my first question, the past three days she has fed like a maniac! Almost every hour, which from what I've read on here is normal, especially with the low birth weight and she sleeps 3-4 hr stretches at night therefore makes up for it during the day. But, today, she has slowed down dramatically in comparison to the past three days. Is that normal? Or should I be waking her more often to feed? I'm waking her at least every 3 hrs. Did she just go through a growth spurt?
    My next question is about going back to work and pumping. I am a teacher and initially only requested a leave of 6 weeks, but being a first time mom really wanting to succeed at BFing, I am wanting to take additional time. I was told that due to the language of our contract the only way I will be able to take additional time will be with a doctor's note saying I need to be home to care for her. Do you think the doc will write me a note? Is there something I can do? I am really worried about going back to work and pumping. I have tried pumping a little bit because I am a cross country coach as well and was wanting to go to practice a couple days a week, so I needed to be able to leave something for my husband to feed her, but I'm not having very good luck. It's taken me 3 days of a morning pump session to get 1 oz. I tried pumping before feeding her and when she latched on she didn't have any problems getting milk so it's not a supply issue. Any tips? Suggestions? Just really worried about keeping this going when I have to go back to work.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Newbie with several questions

Sounds like that was a growth spurt. Many babies often have evening cluster feeding patterns, too, which are great for maintaining your supply at the right place. I hope you see reassuring gain at your appointment Monday! Sounds like things are more or less going well.
    When pumping in addition to nursing, it often takes much longer to get the same amount that you would be getting if you were pumping to replace a feeding, which is what you'll be doing at work. I've never really had to pump, I tried once with a manual pump and found hand expression easier, but there was a video I really liked: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Default Re: Breastfeeding Newbie with several questions

All that you have described as far as your baby and feeding is normal. I would say as long as he/she is growing with wet dipes try and go with the flow. I remember having all of these same questions/concerns and it wasnt until 2 months ago that i vowed to try and stop worrying/second guessing!! I still do but am much better.My little girl(71/2 MONTHS OLD) is having a spurt of feeding craziness as we speak. But then other days she will only want to nurse ever 3-4 hours...sometimes both sides other times just 1 side...its enough to make you crazy!! haha
    As far as working i was just thinking today how much i admire full time working moms. I have friends that have your same hours and have successfully BF to a year and beyond. I do understand how you are not ready.your lo is still so young..i didnt feel ready to be away until around 3 months and it is still hard. As far as your rights i am not sure but i know my sister is a teacher and she used sick/vaca time. Also as far as pumping, keep at it pumping every morning after first feeding. Dont skip a morning and you will start to produce. I remember crying bc i didnt have any milk come out but my friend encouraged me and before long you will have a 1-3 maybe more oz..i least i did. Also,i read an awesome article of the breastfeeding usa site the other day and it was all about working and keeping up milk supply. Their advise was all about learning your body to where you know that time frame of being full..everyone is different. So they say to always drain breasts before feeling to super full..every 3-4 hours. im sure if you can do that you will be A OK!!
    Last edited by @llli*emmicarter; September 7th, 2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ADDING