Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to start solids

Default When to start solids

My LC at my daughter's Pedi office highly suggested to start solids. My daughter is 4 months old. My LC is concerned about her weight being on the lower end of the growth chart. She is 12lbs 6.9oz.

She was born on April 30th at 7lbs 12oz and has gained a little over 1lb every month. She is not a big eater. She usually takes one breast, and will pull away from the second breast when I offer it. She eats about every 3 hours. She is meeting all of her developmental milestones. My pedi isn't too concerned about her weight..she said she is simply a bit smaller but nothing to be concerned about. I have decided to stop seeing the LC at the office because she makes me feel so insecure and incompetent as a mother. She tells me that my daughter needs more calories so to start her on cereal. I wanted to wait until she was about 5 or 6 months old. Anyone have any suggestions, advice? How do you all think her weight is in comparison to other 18 week old(s)? She istiny. When she takes the bottle when I am at work she only takes about 2-3 ounces per feeding. Is this normal??

Default Re: When to start solids

Hi Mama! I can't really comment on her weight gain. If she's meeting her milestones and making adequate wet and poop diapers then it's likely that she's just petite.

As for starting solids (I think) the general rules are:

1. Baby can hold head and sit upright with minimal or no support
    2. Baby has doubled birth weights
    3. Baby shows an interest in food -- that is, best to start solids when baby tells us she wants solids. Her outside interest tells us that her insides are ready.

I would worry that starting solids without the above three could result in weight loss -- you'd be trying to fill her belly with something less nutritious and less suited for her developmentally than your milk.

I'm sure you've tried a lot but just a few quick questions:

You said she eats every 3 hours? Is this a schedule or are you feeding on demand? Have you tried offering even when she doesn't ask? My LO takes whenever I offer and will stop after a few sucks if she's not interested. Have you tried dream feeding at night? Most babies will still suck in their sleep and this can be a good way to bump up intake.

Sorry the LC makes you feel bad. You're doing great and you're LO sounds great too. Hang in there.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

I agree with you on waiting for solids. Cereal is not the best starter food anyway. Are you having problems that make you need a LC?

I like this link: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/ I decided to wait until my son met the requirements kellymom uses for starting solids, even though he was snatching food from me by 5 months. He was really just trying to be a part of what we were doing, so we would let him play with utensils or small plastic bowls at the table. I think we waited til the right time to start baby-led solids, skipping cereal and purees. He loves eating his solids, and we haven't had issues with intestinal upset from starting solids.

And, w/ PP on cereal not helping weight gain. There is no reason to replace the perfect nutrition with a significantly inferior one. Cereal is hard to digest (even for grownups, and 4 month old babies have immature guts) and actually has a lot fewer calories than breastmilk, so what would really happen is your daughter would likely nurse less and miss out on the goodness of breastmilk.

2-3 oz per feeding by bottle is totally normal, most babies take about 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation, and feeding small bottles is a great way to allow baby to self-regulate her milk intake and learn her own feelings of satiety.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Thank you for the response is a lot of information that is good to know I'm always stressing about whether or not my daughter is getting enough milk it started with my concerns that my milk supply was dropping I was not feeling that my daughter was satisfied after meals my boobs felt soft and my let down to took a really long time compare to how I used to feel when she was about 2 months old when my let down was usually almost immediately. Now it takes my daughter a bit longer for my let down to start and once the letdown starts I feel like it stops within a minute and I am not sure if that is enough milk for her to take in. I went to the doctor at her 3 month checkup and the lactation consultant told me that she was not gaining enough weight. She told me that she had dropped on the growth chart. After coming on here and showing my stats to everyone and writing to other lactation consultants I was informed that her weight gain was fine and that she was simply on the smaller side. I stopped worrying about my milk supply and things were going fine until I went back to work a few days ago and learned that my daughter was only drinking 2 ounces per feeding and that sometimes it was a struggle for my mom to get her to drink the whole 2 ounces. Now I am back to worrying about whether or not my daughter is eating enough. Like I said she was born 6 pounds 12 ounces and at her 4 month checkup she was 12 pounds 6.9 ounces hasn't quite doubled her weight. I also think she is teething because she has been really grumpy and she has had mucus and wet stools. At the same time I know this. can also be a possible milk sensitivity from the formula. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if some sentences do not make sense I am talking on my phone

It's more likely that your supply is just regulating, it's pretty normal at some point to no longer feel engorged all the time--good thing too, it helps keep plugged ducts et al to a dull roar. Feeling less full, having slower letdowns is part of this; while it can be frustrating for you and baby, she should grow used to it soon enough. Add to that the general frustration of being a four month old baby suddenly more attuned to the world but still unable to really do much herself, and you have a recipe for rough days.
    It's a shame that your LC is hampering your self esteem as a mom, since it really sounds like things are not going that badly for y'all. Is your daughter meeting milestones? Having enough wet and dirty diapers? Maybe one of the other LCs you spoke with would be a better fit if you feel the need to see one in future?
    I wish I could help you troubleshoot on the bottles during the day, but I SAH, so I don't have any experience with bottles.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Does she have:
    Puffy/shadowed eyes, a bullseye like rash around the anus, rash anywhere else (particularly the chest /shoulders), excessive spit-up, excessive/painful gas, nightwaking (with ds it was screaming not just waking up)?
    These are the allergy symptoms from dr sears 'the baby sleep book' that I can remember off the top of my head. If ds wasn't sleeping on me, I'd check for the rest. I think congestion might have been on there as well. Ds had all but the buttrash.

Eh not really a bulls eye but a little bit of diaper rash. She has been waking up every 3 hours in the middle of the night for tge past 1-2 weeks. Last night was the first night she slept untill 6am! I wish i could ebf but i cant seem to get ahead of the game with pumping. What would i switch to if she was sensitive to soy and milk based formula? Is there a big difference in taste? My daughter doesnt enjoy formula as it is i dont want to throw her through a loop.

I would wait until 6months at least. As long as she is following the weight gain curve that she has always been on I wouldn't worry. Remember that EVERYONE in the curve is NORMAL. Someone has to be at the 1st percentile and someone has to be at the 100 percentile for the curve to exist. Don't worry and don't risk digestion problems (and an unneeded hassle) by starting before you need to. There is this one little window of time where your breastmilk is all your child needs and their nutrition is perfect. Once you begin solids it's a lifetime of trying achieve and maintain good and balanced nutrition. Like LITERALLY the rest of their lives. Savor the next few months.

Way too lazy for formula

It talks about the diff. formulas half way down the page
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...lers/goat-milk
    Every three hours at night seems pretty typical, if not better than some, for your lo's age. Ds was waking every 20-60 minutes screaming inconsolably all day and night. It was very obvious something was wrong.