Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: newborn congestion, normal or pets?

Default newborn congestion, normal or pets?

I know NB congestion is normal, but our LO (now 7.5 weeks) has continuing disrupted sleep and discomfort on her back. Thus she is virtually never on her back (challenging!) Saline drops, sitting in a steamy bathroom, a vaporizer and new air purifier w/new filters aren't working. There's nothing in her nose to irrigate or aspirate, but she's got a lot of noise. All I ever read is 'get rid of the pets' or keep pets separated. That's not feasible advice - we have 3 dogs and 2 cats, all rescues and they're not going anywhere if it's not life threatening - and we're not sticking them outside. We don't let the pets have direct contact w/her but a house o' dander is unavoidable.

I'm not asking for medical advice of course, just whether anyone has dealt with this and has thoughts. Our next trip to the ped is in a week and a half and their phone advice included just saline, steaming, vaporizer. Thanks.

Default Re: newborn congestion, normal or pets?

I don't know about pets, but my dd was congested until I went off dairy. I can be a symptom of dairy sensitivity. Worth looking into!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Red face Re: newborn congestion, normal or pets?

Oh thx so much for troubleshooting. I haven't had dairy since 1997 and I stopped inflammation trigger food (sugar, wheat, gluten, grains, etc) before I even got pregnant. On the bright side I never have any allergy or congestion issues.

IME, normal. Babies make lots of noise.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    IME, normal. Babies make lots of noise.
    Some snorting and sniffling and snuffling is just normal. I call my 8 week old "Snuffalupagus." I have two dogs, and they're not going anywhere if it's not life threatening, as you say.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.