Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Achy legs and Breastfeeding?!

Default Achy legs and Breastfeeding?!

Ok I know this could be a long shot but lately I've had really sore knees, legs and ankles.
    I'm wondering if that has anything to do with breast feeding.
    Maybe not enough calcium?
    It's kinda like restless leg syndrome but all the time - I feed her sitting down - she's so distracted at the moment (5 months) that i have to feed her in our bedroom - on the bed with the curtains closed otherwise I"m up all night with her (which I am anyway at the moment) but sorry .... I"m getting of topic, I always have sore legs at the moment, I feel like I"m turning into an old woman!

Any thoughts?
    x

Default Re: Achy legs and Breastfeeding?!

Try getting more potassium into your diet. Maybe calcium, too...but do you think you're not getting enough calcium? Because you don't want to overdo the calcium, either; that can lead to leg cramps. Eating fresh fruit should help if it's a calcium-potassium imbalance.

I used to get restless legs a lot, and the thing that has helped me most is to be on my feet as much as possible during the day. Hard to do when you have a nurseling, but start paying attention to how often you are on your feet-- when you're washing dishes, making dinner, etc. Stand and fold the laundry instead of sitting down...take a couple short walks with your lo during the day, that sort of thing.

Also, sitting on the bed to nurse might be affecting your spinal alighment; it's not really a very natural position, kwim? Could you possibly get an ergonomical chair to put in your room to nurse in?

Just brainstorming, I guess...good luck working things out.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Is it like achy joints? I have really sore knees, and my doctor said it's probably hormones from nursing. She said it might take up to a year or even whenever DS is weaned for this to totally go away.

wow thank you both of you - it's all the time just not whilst nursing but I do nurse sitting down a lot and I have her on my knee a lot rocking her to sleep during nap time.

So I guess it could be a culmination of all of the above mentioned things.

Im going to try everything mentioned and yes I thought hormones as well but i do blame everything on hormones; chances are it's actually true - hormones can do many a strange thing to your body!

I am having the same problem my legs r awful esp my knee joints and i am on them alot and eat fruits so I am hoping its just hormones lol
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

I assumed my aching hips were bc of the loosening of ligaments/joints during pregnancy (yep, hormones). It was awful for a while;I'd finally get ds asleep and couldn't relax bc of the pain. My ankles always hurt too but I figured out that was because of the way I rested them on the foot stool while sitting in the rocking chair. Stretching and strengthening exercises helped as well. I have a good chiropracter which really relieved some of the pain. Everything went away at the six month mark when my body seemed to heal from pregnancy.

I know my hip flexors are tight from sitting&nursing for 3 straight months! And my back is tight from sleeping on my side; I've also noticed my abductors are sore from being on my side all night, too.

During the first 2 months I noticed my ankles were sore from feeding him while being cross-legged. (you know, the way the Boppy picture shows!)

I just make sure to stretch the tightness out. Yoga's great for all the misalignments, too!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]