Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing weight after block feeding

Default losing weight after block feeding

I started blockfeeding my LO who is almost 4 months old a couple of weeks ago after I realized I have OALD. Things have improved a bit. It seems milk supply is down but sometimes the milk comes really fast still. She seems to be eating less often since we started blockfeeding, now eating about every 3 hours, rather than every 1.5 hours like before. I don't know why she is eating less often but she seems content.

My concern is, I took her for a check up yesterday and she weighs 2 ounces less than she weighed a month ago. She has always been a big baby. She weighed 8lb. 4oz at birth and now weighs 14lb 11oz. I am just not sure that a baby's weight should ever go down.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Default Re: losing weight after block feeding

Stacey,

I just have a couple of thoughts for you. Sometimes, weight checks can be inaccurate. Was there anything different about the two weight checks? A different scale, a different nurse, or wearing a diaper one time and not the other?

Is LO still having plenty of wet and poopy diapers? Is she acting dehydrated, lethargic or sick? Is she meeting her developmental milestones?

What did your doctor have to say about the weight loss? Anytime you are concerned about your baby's health, you should talk to your healthcare provider.

If all is otherwise well, it would make sense that LO is eating less often now. IF she is getting plenty of hindmilk, she will be satisfied earlier in the feeding.

HTH,

Tiana

The only difference this time was the nurse...

Unfortunately, I live in American Samoa and we have a horrible health care system and doctors who are not really doctors and no lacation consultants here at all. My "Doctor" looked at baby and said "she looks good." Perhaps that might explain the difference in weight...maybe it was more incompetency (sp?).

LO still has plenty of wet diapers and poopy diapers have been decreasing but she still has one a day. The other thing is, her poop is not seedy like it was when she was born. It is just runny, not sure if that is normal.

She seems content and not starving so I am not panicking here but still concerned she lost 2 oz when she should have gained in five weeks time.

Unless the scale was zeroed out before weighing each time, it could be a scale problem. I know in the US that docs and nurses rarely zro out their scales.

Also, if your baby nursed just before weighing last time and was hungry this time, that could account for some of the variance.

Third, did you child grow in length? Meeting milestones? If so, I would not worry yet, just watch the weight and ask nurse to balance the scale each time before weighing.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here