Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby's barely growing, and milk's not coming out!

Default My baby's barely growing, and milk's not coming out!

I took my four-month-old in for a checkup today. His height, weight, and head circumference have barely gone up from the measurements taken a month ago.

He's EBF; we aren't planning on introducing solids until he's six months old. His eating havbits haven't been consistent. Last week, he was going 4 hours between meals. Yesterday and the day before, it was only 2 or 3 hours.

He still has about 8 wet diapers per day. He was only pooping once every 2 days (a big, messy poop), and within the last week it's become 2 very small poops every other day.

The doctor that I saw today (not my son's usual pediatrician) told me to pump exclusiely for a week so I can monitor how much he's taking in.

I tried pumping just now (it's been two hours since I last fed him) and I got a few drops from my left breast" (it took 1.5 minutes to feel a "let-down), and 1 oz from my right (it took ten minutes for the milk to stop flowing, and I never felt a "let-down" although I felt a tugging in the left breast after a while).

I don't know what to do. The doctor said I may have to fortify his milk or supplement with formula if he doesn't grow fast enough.

Default Re: My baby's barely growing, and milk's not coming out!

I'm so sorry! That sounds like the sort of doctor visit no-one ever wants to have.

Some questions for you:
    - Can you post your LO's growth history for us? Birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup? If you have lengths that would also be interesting to look at.
    - Has your LO always been weighed in the nude on the same scale?
    - Has he mastered any new motor milestones in the last couple of months? Rolling, perhaps pre-crawling?
    - How many times per day does he nurse, on average?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Same questions as mommal plus...what pump are you using? That output is low range normal on the one side. How often have you pumped? Are the parts new?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't have a printout of his growth chart, but I'll try to remember/guess. He's been on the same curve up until now.
    Birth: 7 lbs 12 oz, 20 in long
    5 days: 7 lbs 5 oz
    1 week: 7 lbs 13 oz
    1 month: 8 lbs 4 oz, 21 in long
    1.5 months: 9 lbs 11 oz
    2 months: about 11 lbs, 22 in long
    3 months: 13 lbs 3 oz, 23.5 in long
    (again, some of those are approximate)
    4 months/now: 13 lbs 8 oz or 13 lbs 11 oz, 24 inches long

Milestones: Rolled 1 way at 3 months, rolled both ways two weeks after. Has been pre-crawling for about a week now.

How often I feed: on demand, but my son has started taking super-long naps and is STTN. He goes 5 hours at night and 2-4 during the day. Not sure how many times total - I'd like to say 8?

Pump: Medela PIS classic

So he's gained 6 lbs 6 oz from his lowest til now in 4 months? Well I'm not a doctor but I think he looks fine! You say diaper out put is good as well. If you are really worried about milk transfer a better thing to do is a weigh feed weigh test over a few feedings, this will be a better indicator of how baby takes in milk from you. I would for sure not exclusively pump! As you see there are so many variables with a pump, and many women don't respond to the pump well. It's just not a good indicator of supply at all. That said if you are going to be using a pump I'd get a new one. A PIS classic has to be what... 5 years old? At a minimum I'd bet all parts need to be changed, but that motor is probably on it's last leg.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Check this link...seems like he's fine weight gain wise

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I need to buy a scale - we don't have one. I really can't afford to buy a new pump, although the motor seems to be going strong and the suction is still pretty good. My LO has a tongue tie, so he mostly uses compression when nursing.

What about the valves and membranes for the pump? How do YOU think baby is doing mama? I personally don't see a problem
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Forgive my ignorance, but which parts are the valves? I have replacement membranes, but the pump seems to be working great when my milk is actually flowing (I used to have oversupply issues - that's why when I started nursing less, I thought it was just my body regulating).

My baby seems to be doing okay, but watching him carefully tonight, he definitely seems hungry, and unsatisfied from nursing. He stayed on each breast for 3 minutes. Then I gave him the 1 oz of milk. I waited and hour and a half after that to try to nurse. He stayed on each side for 5 minutes that time, but he's still wide awake and was fervently sucking his thumb (the only thing that I recognize as a sure sign of hunger).

Are you putting him back to the breast when he has hunger cues?

Valves are the yellow part the membranes are attached to
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language