Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm angry....

Default I think I'm angry....

My LO is 14 weeks old, 15 weeks on Saturday. She's having good outputs and nursing really well. I took her to the urgent care this evening with what I suspected could be an ear infection but they said it wasn't. Fine. They did however say she has an upper repertory infection and the nurse said I need to give her water to thin out the phlem? Not listening to me when I said shes never had anything but breast milk. She said to thin out my breast milk because it will make the phlegm to thick. What?! I'm so mad about this trip. She has no fever, and to me no signs of uri. She was crying the whole time he was checking her out. Water? Really? What do I say to my husband to assure him, I know what's best and thinning my milk out is not it. When I'm home she only ebf, but gets 2 bottles a day (3 days a week sometimes) when I work. No nipple confusion or anything. Uh, I'm frustrated. Sorry to vent.

Default Re: I think I'm angry....

I don't have any answers or advice...I just want to say I'm sorry for your frustration! Ugh I know the feeling. I hope it all works out!

Your instinct is spot on, mama. Do not give your baby water, that's terrible advice, and really can be quite dangerous, leading to water intoxication. Breastmilk is all she needs: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Your instinct is spot on, mama. Do not give your baby water, that's terrible advice, and really can be quite dangerous, leading to water intoxication. Breastmilk is all she needs: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/

There's an old wive's tale that says that dairy increases phlegm, but it's a complete myth. See http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-surprise-you/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the other ladies that the advice was poor. Trust your instincts!

In your place, I'd make a call to the clinic's medical director to notify him/her of the misguided advice you were given by the nurse. In their place, I'd want to know-- both from the perspective of doing the right thing and liability.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

There's an old wive's tale that says that dairy increases phlegm, but it's a complete myth. See http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-surprise-you/
    I dunno about that....but I DO know that the milk of your own species should not be looked at as DAIRY. I don't feel my child sugar OR dairy when he is sick. But when he was a baby and he was sick, breast milk counted as a "clear liquid"

Way too lazy for formula

Wink Re: I think I'm angry....

Thank you ladies, I just needed to vent. No one I knows bf, and no one in my family other than one aunt has bf. I was just so frustrated. I am going to make a call into the director. I would never give her water right now. I was hoping to keep most everything away until at least 8 months to a year. She is teething so I may give her BLS if she wanted in a few months. Learning she is teething is the only good thing from that visit. I'm so glad I have somewhere to come and share my frustration. What great support. Thanks again ladies, for the links and support.

According to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455:
    Phlegm is the thick, sticky mucus that drips down the back of your throat when you have a cold. Although drinking milk may make phlegm thicker and more irritating to your throat than it would normally be, milk doesn't cause your body to make more phlegm. In fact, frozen dairy products can soothe a sore throat and provide calories when you otherwise may not eat.
    That being said, breast milk is not 'milk' in the terms of what was stated above. Nurse, nurse, nurse - best thing for sick baby. Diluting nutrition when they're ill is HORRIBLE advice.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

In addition to what PPs have said, I know you're worried about what to tell DH. Explain to him that you are going with your instincts on this one and that he will just need to trust you at this point. As for other family members, you should tell them that you are BFing. There is no reason to hide it. Sure, there might be some that look down on you or think you're crazy, but you also might get support from unexpected places. I told my grandfathers that I intended to nurse for at least and year and both of them were amazingly very proud and supportive of me, even if my in-laws thought it was excessively long(they though BFing was for newborns, not a 6 month old--that's what formula is for). DD is almost 14 months and we are still going strong!

Hope your daughter feels better soon sherice!