Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oats

Question Oats

Hey! I'm new and just wanted to see if anyone had heard of oats increasing milk supply.

Default Re: Oats

Yep, oatmeal works really well to give you a temporary supply boost.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

A friend had told me this and wasn't sure if it were true or not.

It is. It won't up your supply long-term, but if you eat it everyday it gives you a little boost. I used to eat it when I needed to pump more at work.

Do you think you're having supply problems? If you want to let us know what's going on, there may be some other things we can suggest.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

In the evenings LO tends to be fussy. She bangs and pinches my boob out of frustration. I was unsure if my supply is low and if so I was looking into eating some kind of oat snack before the bedtime feed to see if this had any affects.

Definitely try the oat snack and see what happens. But fussiness is normal in the evenings, they call it the witching hour. Most women's supply is highest first thing in the morning, which doesn't mean you don't have enough in the evening (in fact what you have in the evening is higher in fat content and very good for baby), but if it doesn't flow as fast baby might get frustrated. They also tend to do something called cluster feeding in the evenings where they want to eat frequently to build up for a bit of a stretch of sleep.

Here's a really good article that explains it better than I can and gives some tips on how you can deal with it.
    --Anonymous

I will do cheers for the advice