Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to nurse baby has/had strep throat

Default Hard to nurse baby has/had strep throat

I have been told it's very unlikely for a baby to get strep throat. Well, my 9 month old got it. I thought we were for sure doomed if she had a sore throat again, but I've actually seen an increase in her nursing. She is latching out in the daylight, in the van in the daylight, in the well lit bedroom, without the sound machine. She's still acting like a 9 month old, popping off at every little sound, but if I give my toddler a lollipop in the van, or put in a video in the living room, we ALMOST get a full nursing in!!!

She must be finally nursing for some comfort again!! And this illness has made her seek it out. She will be clawing at my shirt and burying her face in my shirt, and I lay her back in the cradle position, and she closes her eyes and starts rooting around. She has even opened her eyes and looked up at me!!! She has *NEVER* done this because I've had to nurse her in the dark or in her sleep for the last 7 months!!

She lost weight tho. So I will have to work on that. She still won't eat any babyfood. I went off caffeine for a week or so and she didn't vomit anymore. And then today, I had some Dr. Pepper this morning and at bedtime tonight, she threw up alot. I know caffeine is on the list of possible spitup offenders for younger babies. It didn't used to bother her, but now, maybe it is??

But more good news is she's been to the doc twice since this most recent illness began and they haven't batted an eye at her weight, not even the loss. I rescheduled her well baby check for a time when we can see our favorite doc who knows us, as a family, well. She knows I nursed my first to 19 months and knows nursing is important to us. So I feel less nervous about it, like she will take all things into account, i.e., 6 teeth in a month, illness, distractibility, and my slender build.

Default Re: Hard to nurse baby has/had strep throat

Poor baby (and mama)!

How long has it been since she was diagnosed with strep? Vomiting and nausea can often go hand-in-hand with strep, or could be something else. Did you cut out the caffeine before specifically because of vomiting?

It may take some time for her to regain her lost weight, but she will get there. It may take her a little bit longer to take to the solids as well. My DS didn't show much interest until 10mos, but didn't eat them regularly until 12mos. Because of her recent sore throat, she might be apprehensive about trying anything other than mama's milk. Just take it slow and patient.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Greetings from your #1 stalker! When I saw this post and it was YOU that was posting, I started to panic, but was relieved to hear that the strep is not causing a regression with the progress that you have made with your dd and her "refusing to nurse while awake" strike!!!! I remember reading a while back (either here or another site) about a baby who was refusing to nurse while awake, who got RSV and that was the turning point that got the baby back to the breast and nursing like a "normal" baby. I never thought I would wish illness on one of my children, but at this point, if it would help turn the tide....well, you get the point. Anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight thing (I know, I know, easier said than done). My ds #2 was 17 pounds at a year old and was told by a couple of docs that if I would stop BF'ing, he would pack on the pounds once he started "real foods & pediasure"....of course I continued to nurse on demand until he weaned at 2 years old. After he weaned, we didn't see any magical jump in weight gain. He just turned 3 and is 26 pounds. LOL He just burns thru his calories and has never been a great eater. But he is super healthy. Glad to hear that you have an understanding doctor. Maybe now that she isn't refusing feeds while awake, she'll start accepting more feeds and regain some of the lost weight!! I'm rooting for you mama! You are doing a fantastic job!!!!!

I'm glad your LO is nursing well now! I would just follow her lead. If she's still recovering, she may forgo solids in favor of breastmilk for a while, and that's fine. Breastmilk is a wonderful source of calories and fat for a baby, and lots of nursing will help her gain that lost weight back. My little guy didn't REALLY get interested in solids as a source of nutrition (more than just tasting) until he was more than a year old, and yet he gained well. So breastmilk can get you back where you want to be. You can follow your baby's lead as far as solids. If she's not feeling well, she may prefer the breast. And in your situation, where you've had some issues with breastfeeding, I would just encourage that! Hopefully by the end of this, you'll have a healthy, strong little boob addict.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well after being sick and getting all those teeth, she's down to 5%. Two months ago she was at 28%. But the pedi said she expects her to get back up soon now that she's well. And her iron is borderline low. I don't mind a skinny baby. She can be skinny. But she *is* growing a brain and I don't want her hemoglobin to drop anymore.

I bet she'll gain that weight back really soon, mama! I mean, she was really sick! Once she's feeling better, she'll get back into eating. Meanwhile, breastmilk is really high in calories and very good for her!

Lots of mamas on here have dealt with borderline anemia. There are lots of things you can give your baby to help with iron - molasses, meats, dried fruits, anything cooked in a cast iron skillet. Or, you can do supplements too. I agree you want to get her iron back just so that her immune system can fully recover.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with joesmom....breastmilk has more fats/calories than *most* solids anyway, so the more she will let you nurse the better. As for the iron, my ds #2 had a level of 7.7 at one point. Since he wasn't into solids (even at 16 months btw), we ended up supplementing with Floradix. It worked wonderfully and his iron was back up into the normal range in a couple of months. Good luck and keep us posted !

So glad things are OK. I wouldn't panic. At 9 months, one of my babies fell off the chart a LOT. We didn't panic. I nursed as much as I could, let him eat whatever he wanted, and it was OK. 9 months is a busy time for them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Slightly off-topic, but it's something I've seen posted on here before and I'm curious: I don't understand how cooking in a cast iron skillet gets more iron into you. I would think that if your skillet were well-seasoned, the iron would not be coming off into your food? Unless you were cooking tomatoes or something? (Not that my pan is especially well-seasoned since my dad came and washed it...)
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Well, they do say that tomato sauce cooked in a cast iron is SUPER high in iron. Otherwise, I would assume you get smaller amounts. Even a well seasoned pan's going to bleed a bit into the food.

You can call me JoMo!