Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy when eating and worried! :(

Default Fussy when eating and worried! :(

I have recently had my first baby and am new to breastfeeding. Although i am having a few struggles i am loving the closeness i feel with my son! I am going on my fifth week and have noticed that he tends to get fussy on my breast after a while. Sometimes i feel like he isnt getting any milk from this side? Is it possible i have more milk on one breast than the other? At times my right breast feels so full and never o
    n the left side...even when im pumping i pump more on right side? is this normal and is there any way to fix this? Please help

Default Re: Fussy when eating and worried! :(

hi mama, congratulations on your new baby and on making it 5 weeks nursing!

it is very normal for babies to get fussy - especially evenings - around this age. it's also normal to have a growth spurt, where they'll nurse ALL.THE.TIME and you just have to keep switching them back and forth from side to side; eventually they'll stimulate more milk production. it's also very normal to have different amounts of milk in your breasts, most people do. some babies have a preferred side (usually the better-producing one) but it's not a problem unless it bothers you. some moms try to encourage nursing first on the low side to try to even themselves out size-wise, but that's not necessary. (usually the better-producing side is bigger; not for me, but usually!).

also babies get faster at eating, so if he's been on one breast for a long time, it's possible he's just done, or needs to switch sooner than you're used to switching him.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My son went through several phases where he preferred one side over the other. I think my right side had a faster flow which bothered him as a newborn. As long as the wet/dirty diapers are normal you know he's getting enough.

My LO gets fussy after she's finished the breast she's feeding on. If you switch LO over, just make sure you've finished the first breast first (I didn't do this in the beginning and it lead to problem with oversupply). Baby may also need to be burped. My breasts are also uneven in milk production (I think it's normal!). I'm so glad I kept to EBF, this fforum helped me soo much! good luck!

Thank you so much! All this info helps and encourages me to continue. I do have one more concern-I have a nephew who is also being breastfed and he is 3 months old. He refuses to take anything unless it is fresh breastmilk-nothing pumped and definitely no formula. Is there anyway to avoid this when I decided to return to work??? Also Ive read about mothers talking about feeling their milk "letdown". What exactly does this feel like?

A tingly feeling, I guess, kind of hard to describe. Some women never feel it so don't worry if you're not. I'm not sure about the other issue. Try several different bottle types, different people offering the bottle, and different temperatures (some babies will drink cold/lukewarm milk, others demand hot).