Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reglan with history of PPD

Default Reglan with history of PPD

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone with a history of PPD used Reglan? If so, I'd love ot hear if it made you feel depressed.

I experienced some PPD after having my DD, but it was because I couldn't get breastfeeding down. Now, after DS, I would like to try reglan to increase my supply, but because i have a history of mild PPD I'm worried that I will throw me into a depression.

I'd love to hear your experience.

Thanks!

Default Re: Reglan with history of PPD

I know we do have a few moms here who have used Reglan... Hopefully they'll chime in. In the meantime, here are a couple older threads about that talk about Reglan and PPD:

Experiences Using Reglan
    Reglan or Domperidone

According to the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, Reglan and domperidone have been shown to increase base prolactin levels, which theoretically should increase milk supply, but there aren't many well-designed studies that actually show a correlation between increased prolactin levels and increased milk production. If you want to read more about the research, you could check out the ABM's protocol on galactagogues.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I used reglan with caution with my DS. I didn't have a diagnosed history of PPD but I got some heavy blues with my first LO. I had great results with increasing milk production with DS but after 2 weeks of reglan I got postpartum preeclampsia (not related to reglan) and was very emotional so I stopped it. In my opinion for me it exacerbated my anxiety.

I take reglan now off and on and have no side effects except drowsiness when I restart the routine.
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing

I was pretty happy though stressed about milk production before I took reglan. I have not been anything but severely depressed since (that kids is 4.5 yrs old now. There were other things that happened around the same time so I cannot blame it in the reglan. And I was at pretty high risk of PPD anyway but I would never dream if suggesting it to anyone with a history of depression.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I appreciate your experiences! Despite dom not being FDA approved, I'm going to write my doc to see if it would be possible to get a prescription for it. What is the likelihood of that actually happening?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I appreciate your experiences! Despite dom not being FDA approved, I'm going to write my doc to see if it would be possible to get a prescription for it. What is the likelihood of that actually happening?
    depends on the provider. Some have no problems others are totally against it. Let us know.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I definitely will. She's young and has two kids, so Hopefully she takes my request seriously.

So, my primary care doc can't write me an rx so I'm waiting to hear back from my OB.

I'm starting to feel like a negative nancy again. I'm taking fenugreek, more milk plus, and goats rue and have yet to see any improvement. Starting to wonder if they really work. I will be incorporating brewers yeast and brown rice tomorrow. Just starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and money. And, to make matters worse, my husband feeds my DS way too much, totally stretching out DS' stomach to the point that I'll never be able to eliminate formula. DS will be 4 weeks tomorrow and DH gave him 5.5oz (3.5oz BM and 2oz formula) when I ran to the store earlier tonight. Feeling defeated, discouraged and betrayed.

Your husband needs to stop sabotaging you. I cannot link right now but I will try and come back in the morning but Kellymom has great information about how to bottle feed a breastfeeding baby and how much a breastfeeding baby needs (and why). You can get you baby back down on to just breatmilk. It will take patience but you can. How often and much are you pumping right now? And how often are you nursing?

Family beds are awesome

I would say I'm pumping and or nursing every 2-3 hours. I had to start supplementing cuz baby wasn't gaining weight or pooping. He still doesn't poop everyday. I don't know how to link to another forum, but "First Poop" in the breast feeding your newborn forum sums up all the problems we've been having.