Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning pump parts

Default cleaning pump parts

Is it safe to use the sani-hands or any other children's type of hand sanitizer wipes to clean pump parts? Medela wipes are great but really expensive. Are there other types of wipes I can use?

Default Re: cleaning pump parts

i don't know, but i really dislike all those hand sanitizer things. the gel kinds have been shown to INCREASE bacteria (because they contain sugar, so the 1 or 5% that doesn't die then breeds very quickly).

why do you need the wipes? i just washed mine in the sink. if i pumped a couple times during the day, i put the whole thing in the fridge all set up and ready to go without washing at all. it's probably ok to even leave the parts out from one pump to the next, on occasion (at least i did).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I do not have access to a water supply where I can pump and taking it to the bathroom or lunch room is more time consuming as I can leave my pump bag in my pumping room. Secondly, the refridgerator at work is really packed. I put my milk in the cooler that came with my pump. I have 3-4 pumping sessions worth of milk so putting my parts into my cooler only really works for the first session. I just feel like leaving it out allows bacteria to grow as well.

hmm. what about getting a big cooler for your pump parts, even one of those cheap styrofoam ones, since you won't have to carry it around, and leaving it with a freezer pack all day? that would save you the time cleaning it each time plus maybe over time some money? i'm not sure how expensive the wipes are.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I keep a second ice pack in my pump bag to keep the parts cold between pumping sessions and it's worked very well. I have the PIS with the tote bag. On one side is the pump itself and on top of that I put the cooler cube that came with my pump, filled with 4 bottles and the ice pack that it came with to keep pumped milk nice and cold. On the other side, I stack: (1) second ice pack (2) gallon ziploc bag containing plastic pump parts; (3) gallon ziploc bag containing hands-free pumping bra + misc. stuff like extra membranes and some paper towels. I find that over the course of the day, the ice pack keeps the pump parts cold. The PIS bag is not meant to be a cooler bag but the bottom is actually quite padded and then with the rest of my gear on top, it creates a pretty well-insulated little compartment.

If this weren't working with my bag, I would definitely get a small soft-sided cooler (like a lunch box) and carry the pump parts and bottles together with one ice pack. For me, just keeping the whole thing cold is the simplest way to go. And, I must add, those cold flanges feel pretty good if your nipples are at all sore!!
    Last edited by @llli*sprocket; September 5th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

You can just keep them cool and reuse all day. I used to also reuse the Medela wipes for several times or cut them into thirds. But usually I just left them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Is it okay to just rinse them out good each time all day long until you get home or should they be washed with soap unless kept chilled?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    Is it okay to just rinse them out good each time all day long until you get home or should they be washed with soap unless kept chilled?
    Yes, it's ok to just rinse them out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't clean my pump parts between uses during the work day and I leave them at room temperature. I figure breastmilk is okay at room temperature for 6-8 hours, and the time between my first pump session and my last one is only about 4-5 hours, so whatever milk is on the pump parts should still be okay. Makes pumping at work much easier and we haven't had any problems.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!