Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and supply

Default Pumping and supply

Hi,
    I have a 12-week-old and am a SAHM. I used to pump once a day to build a freezer stash so that I could get outside in the evenings when hubby is home, and he could feed the baby, who often eats "all evening."

I have struggled to regulate my supply (oversupply) and I know pumping stimulates milk production. LO ended up very fussy because of what I thought was an extremely increased oversupply and thus so much foremilk he couldn't get the fattier stuff at the end.

Anyway, I quit pumping for that reason and just figured it wasn't worth the hassle just so I could have "alone time." (plus "he doesn't take a bottle" is a perfect excuse not to leave him with crazy relatives! ) Since then LO has been soooo much more comfortable and I've only gotten engorged once a day. Phew.

Is there any way for me to pump WITHOUT getting a crazy oversupply again? Aside from being able to leave for a few hours, I'd like to have a stash "just in case," for any reason, I couldn't breastfeed (medication, etc.).

Default Re: Pumping and supply

I would think that if you pump at exactly the same time each and every day, and do not pump for an extended period of time (like don't go 20 minutes after letdown) then you should be okay.

- I always had supply issues in the other direction so I am by no means an expert at OS, only an expert at pumping
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

with the PP.

You probably don't need that much of a stash, since you're a SAHM. How much do you have in the freezer right now?

I love your "he doesn't take a bottle so I can't leave him with crazy relatives" spin on the issue. Brilliant!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Since you tend to have oversupply - are there times of the day (like the morning) when he just nurses on one side? You could use a small manual pump to pump the side he didn't nurse from. I did this with DD in the beginning before my supply regulated and got quite a bit for a freezer stash just by doing that each morning when she would only nurse from one side. That may not exacerbate your oversupply as much as a separate pumping session. Just a thought.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Thanks! I have about 8 oz saved now. I was up to 16, but wasted some trying unsuccessfully to give him a bottle (Medela Calma--I had to start with the breast and 'sneak' the bottle in, which defeats the purpose of me giving a bottle in the first place). I usually got about an ounce from pumping. He used to just nurse on one side each feeding, but he's moved to usually doing both except in the morning. Maybe I'll try again. As long as feeding a bottle doesn't have to be a regular occurence? Maybe it depends on the baby.

most EBF babes won't take a bottle from mom at first, some even won't take the first bottle while mom is in the building

for most of us the first successful bottle was one given while we were not around, i.e. at the grocery. etc...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07