Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply or teething?? Please help!

Default Supply or teething?? Please help!

My 8 month old son used to be a wonderful sleeper. He would go down to sleep at 7:30 and not wake at all until 7 in the morning. I thought I was extremely lucky. After two months of doing that, he started waking again. First one time, then 2 times and it just kept increasing. He seems to wake now every hour, though sometimes he gives me two hours. We co-sleep so it's not that bad, but i'm starting to get worried that he's not getting enough milk. Why would he go from being such a good sleeper to being such a disturbed sleeper? My husband thinks he's teething but he didn't seem to have this much of a problem when the first 4 teeth came in. We do try to feed him food but he's still not taking that much solid food in. He feeds normally throughout the day. It's getting harder to manage. I feel like I hit a wall and become very frustrated inside.

Any advice would be appreciated. i wonder if I should take something to increase my supply.

Thank you.

Default Re: Supply or teething?? Please help!

Has he recently hit any new developmental milestones? I know that's a big reason for disturbed/messed up sleep patterns - if he's suddenly using lots more energy moving around then he might just need the extra calories. How long has this phase lasted? If he's eating normally during the day and you are holding up with it, I'm not sure I'd worry about supply or anything just yet (and if it is your supply, his frequent night nursing will probably bump it up more than anything else you could do anyway)

No advice on how to make it better but you're not alone. My ds went through a regression similar to that around the same age. He's still waking 3-6 times a night at 14 mo. But since we bed share also, my sleep isn't really affected. I'm waiting until all his teeth to come in to worry about it.

If your baby was sleeping 7:30-7 he may have been hitting a growth spurt before and sleeping more often. He may be hitting a regular pattern now. Some babies do well with getting certain teeth in. For my son, he was miserable with his canines, but did fine with his other teeth. Maybe the teeth he is getting in now are making him extra miserable. Try giving some sort of teething meds or pain relief and see what that does.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011