Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I need to introduce other forms of calcium to LO?

Question When do I need to introduce other forms of calcium to LO?

Hi everyone - this is my first time posting here - just joined!
    Babe is almost 13 months, and we're still bf'g. Is the calcium in my bm still sufficient for his needs, or do I need to introduce other forms? I'm not sure about cow's milk yet,and know there are plenty of other non-dairy forms of calcium.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Default Re: When do I need to introduce other forms of calcium to LO

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium/

Here's a good site for your question. Hope it helps.

At this point baby should be eating a variety of nutrient rich foods with different tastes and textures. What is she/he eating
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    At this point baby should be eating a variety of nutrient rich foods with different tastes and textures. What is she/he eating
    I find it so funny that the advice on breastfeeding can be so different depending who you talk to. I just posted not too long ago that my 14 month old wasn't into solids and everyone said that's normal. Not saying you are wrong or picking on you but I'm just so confused on the solids stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelm711 View Post
    I find it so funny that the advice on breastfeeding can be so different depending who you talk to. I just posted not too long ago that my 14 month old wasn't into solids and everyone said that's normal. Not saying you are wrong or picking on you but I'm just so confused on the solids stuff.
    no problem. Here is the thing IMO, you should be offering a wide variety of nutrient rich foods and it is up to baby to eat them/or not at their own pace. In that way this advice is consistent with what you were told. If baby doesn't gobble down a ton of solids and you are nursing frequently that is fine and normal for a lot of kids. The point being that the healthy variety of solids is consistently offered.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

What she said. If the OP's 13 month-old baby is nursing just once or twice a day and is eating nothing but cheerios and applesauce, then we'd probably advise her to add in additional nursing sessions and/or to offer more iron and calcium-rich solids or to supplement with whole cow's milk. If the OP's baby is nursing many times a day, like 6-8 or more, we'd probably advise that she not worry about the calcium, but that she makes sure to offer a wide variety of healthy solids and allows her LO to get experience with them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"