Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All night nursing

Default All night nursing

Hi mamas,

I’m feeling burnt out and need some advice!

DS will be 4 months on Friday. Typically he starts the night in his pack and play by the bed and then moves into bed after his first night waking. He used to sleep through the night about twice a week, and the rest of the time he would wake up two or three times (he always wakes up more after moving into bed with me).

Starting about two weeks ago, he would cry as soon as I put him in the pack and play. Since then, we’ve moved to exclusively co-sleeping (I don’t sleep as well, but that’s okay). My problem is he now refuses to sleep unless he’s nursing the WHOLE night. I’ll wait an hour and try to break the latch, but he’ll immediately wake up and start crying. He also kicks a lot, so there’s no way I can sleep while he’s nursing. He doesn’t seem agitated, just busy. DH is very supportive and tries to take him out of the room for a few hours a night so I can sleep, but this usually makes DS scream nonstop (really intensely to the point that it scared us!) until DH brings him back several minutes later.

DS has also stopped napping during the day. I’ve taken him for walks, put him in the Ergo or sling, gone for drives, put him in the swing, etc. He’s happy during the day, but he fights nap and will maybe doze for a half an hour at the breast.

He is eating normally, has normal wet and poopy diapers, and doesn’t have a fever. The doctor said he might be teething, and I think that’s true. But nothing we’ve tried (frozen teething rings, orajel, ibuprofen, gum massage, etc.) seems to help. I’ve also tried giving him a pacifier for the first time, but he immediately spits it out. I am exhausted and see no end in sight. HELP!

Default Re: All night nursing

I don't have any advice, just a reminder "this too shall pass"

For co-sleeping I strongly recommend to side car the crib, here's a good link:
    http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

Hang in there, it gets a lot easier!

we had those nurse-all-night marathons too; i feel your pain. highly recommend a good supportive pillow behind your back so you can really relax while on your side nursing. just when i thought i couldn't take it anymore, started to get those squicked out feelings from being sucked on so long, he gave me a couple hours solid sleep one night and it was what i needed to keep going. sometimes i'd pull him off and just rest on my stomach for 5 mins, even if he was crying, because i had just had enough. but it gets better.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the tips! We have a very soft mattress (not ideal for co-sleeping), so I have to sort of balance myself to avoid smooshing baby.

Is it possible this is reflux and not teething? I was rocking him back to sleep one night, and he woke up screaming from a deep sleep. He's very spitty during the day, but it doesn't seem to bug him.

yeah, ideally you could get a firmer mattress, or at least put it on th efloor so it's firmer. but get a good pillow so you can relax your body.

reflux, teething, sometimes it's all a mystery. i wish they could tell us!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My lo started teething at 3.5 months and refused from that point on to sleep in her crib for more then an hour. I find that her all night nursing is worse when she is BOTH teething AND going through a growth spurt at the same time. After a week or two things go back to normal, for her, which is sleeping 3-4 hours in a row waking up for a feeding and then wake up every two hours after that until morning. She is now 11 months and this is the pattern that has emerged. Hang in there

Things are getting worse instead of better. Poor guy really seems to be in pain. The thrashing at the breast is bad, and it's keeping me up. I got about 2.5 hours of sleep last night. We went to the doctor this morning, and she gave us a prescription for an acid reducer, so hopefully DS will have some relief soon. In the meantime, how can I settle him while he's nursing so I can get some sleep?

Joe started teething at four months, and so began a very long period in which he got tooth after tooth after tooth, and we didn't sleep much at all. (Basically, I wanted to throw a giant party when he finally cut those two year old molars! ) Have you tried painkillers? Tylenol? Hopefully the reflux meds will help too.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Painkillers don't seem to help at all. How would I know if he has an allergy to something I'm eating?

From what you're saying - that he's healthy, gaining well, and has normal poops - I probably wouldn't conclude allergies, but there are other mamas here who are more knowledgeable about allergies than I am.

Joe was famously sleep resistant. He slept like what you describe (complete with a good amount of thrashing) for literally more than a year. So I feel your pain. At some point I stopped trying to fix him (I did investigate some medical issues, but he was really healthy) and just started figuring out how to cope with broken sleep. Going to bed early, sleeping in whenever I could, taking naps whenever I could (keeping in mind I worked full time so that wasn't often), and cosleeping (of course it's hard to sleep when your kid is thrashing you all night, but it turns out you do get better at it when you're tired enough ) were how I got through. It wasn't fun, but it did gradually get better over time (with multiple setbacks, of course). If Joe can learn to sleep well on his own, I promise you, ANY child can. Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.