I'm wondering about my supply and if I need to be worried/start working on it.
My baby is 9 months old (today). Two weeks ago, he weighed 20lbs 1oz (birth weight was 7lbs 9oz). He is happy, alert, and very active!
I am away at work one day a week, from 8:15-3:45. He is home with my husband during this day. I work, from home, two other days and feed myself unless I have a meeting and then I pump. This has been the arrangement since he was 6 months old. I was home FT before then and he was exclusively BFed until 6 months. He has never had formula.
I nurse on demand, but he is very active and so I usually offer the breast as well at various points. When I am home, this is his typical feeding routine:
6:30wakes up, usually nurses awake and then has a little more.
7:30am: BF (demand)
8:30-9:00am: BF to sleep
10:30am: offer the breast upon waking, he usually nurses for a short time
11:30-12:00: BF (demand)
12:30pm: solid food for lunch
1:30pm: nurses to sleep
(from 1:30-6:30 is really varied. If I nap with him, he will nurse some during the nap and then I will really struggle to get another good BF in. If I don't nap with him, he'll have another BF sometime after waking at 3:30ish and before 4:45).
5:00pm: solid food for dinner
6:30pm: nurses to sleep for bed
He usually wakes around 12:30-1:00am and 4:30-5:00am for feeds
The reasons I am worried:
1. He is taking much less from my husband when I am away than he used to. He used to take several (2-3) bottles of 4-5oz while I was at work. Now, he will take 1, 3 ounce bottle (one working days, I feed up until I leave at 8:15 and when I get home at 3:45). He isn't waking more on those nights either.
2. He is nursing for much shorter periods of time when he is with me. Rarely do I get a feed to last more than 8 minutes total. (Unless he is going to sleep, but then I am sure some of that is just comfort nursing).
3. I am pumping WAY less than I used to. 3 months ago, I could get 5 ounces/breast/pumping session in about 10 minutes. Now, I am lucky to get 3 ounces total after 20-25 minutes.
4. My period returned last month. I posted about this before and I know that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but together with everything else makes me worried.
5. Sometimes his nappies are not very wet. Usually this is his late afternoon diaper change (on for no more than 2 hours).
6. We cosleep and he used to nurse a ton during the night, lots of night waking. I was really struggling so my husband slept with him for a couple of nights and came and got me only when the baby wouldn't settle quickly (like in less than a minute) for him. Every time baby settled really quickly, except twice and I would go in a feed him. I did this a couple of nights too and he didn't even look for my breast. On one hand, I think this probably means that he is okay, but a big part of me wonders if by not being readily available for a few nights, I've somehow discouraged him from nursing at night.
7. My breasts feel much less full than they used to. I know this isn't really supposed to be a good indicator, but it is really noticeable to me how much softer they feel in general.
Anyway, does it sound like he is getting enough? At what point should I take steps to increase my supply? My BF goals is a year and beyond (after a year, I plan to follow his lead with regard to weaning) so I want to do anything I possibly can to make sure we get there.