Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In Pain...AGAIN!??

Default In Pain...AGAIN!??

2 weeks ago today I got mastitus and thrush all at once! My son also had thrush. I went to the doctor and got a 2 week dosage of difulcan, and nystatin cream. My son got oral nystatin as well.

I made huge diet changes:
    took out yeast, refined sugars, starch, dairy

I also applied gentian violet to my nipples at night, so he could get some that way. I did that for 3 nights.

Everything was looking great and clearing up, and then...

My LO started smacking his lips and sucking his tongue 2 days ago, and its back!! My boobs hurt so bad! He cries and pops off every time I nurse him. I have tons frozen so I have done bottles all day, which he takes just fine. I'm hurting so bad, and don;t know what to do anymore!!

Any Suggestions? I'm feeling so defeated!!
    Mama to Nathan Ryan Meehan

8lbs 5oz at birth

Born naturally after 4 hours of labor
    Exclusively for 7 months!!! Been stuck to the for almost 5 months!

Default Re: In Pain...AGAIN!??

bump

8lbs 5oz at birth

Are you sure you completely cleared up the thrush? You're supposed to treat for 2 weeks at least, and it can sometimes take longer. I recently battled some thrush, and now I'm pretty sure it's coming back. Blah. It can be a beast to really get rid of. I'd start treating again. I've been doing GSE - gentian violet is effective but such a mess. Anyway, I feel ya, because I am back on it now. The thing about thrush is that it should improve pretty quickly with treatment, so you'll know in a day or two if it's thrush or something else (the lip smacking makes me wonder about his latch).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He has a perfect latch, always has. He just got his first tooth last week, in the midst of all this... it's not making it any easier. I read somewhere that lip smacking is one sign of thrush. I guess I'll start back the GV. I just got out of the shower, and it looks as though I'll wake up with mastitus again in the morning. My left breast is completely clogged. Idk what to do. I tried pumping it, I tried hand expressing.. nothing. Its rocks hard in some areas. :*(

I can't keep doing this, I don't know what to do to make this stop!

8lbs 5oz at birth