Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping need advice please

Default New to pumping need advice please

My little one is almost 4 mths and I want to start pumping and storing. I'd like to introduce the bottle to him soon so my husband can feed him too. Also it would be nice if he would take a bottle so we could leave him with a sitter every now and then. I'd still like to nurse him when he is with me. When would be the best time to pump so I don't interfere with his feedings? Any experienced moms please give me any and all feedback you have on this.

Default Re: New to pumping need advice please

it will get easier and easier to get away for an hour or so without baby, as baby gets better at being able to wait to eat and a little more routine. there's no need to pump and store 'just because', but it's definitely reasonable to want to take a couple hour break by yourself or with DH so you'll want some milk on hand. try to pick a time you know you can have 20-30 mins of no fussing. many moms have the highest production in the morning, so maybe right after a morning feed? it's normal to get 1-2 oz in a pumping session when it's adding on to full-time nursing, so don't get discouraged. you can pump just a couple days in advance of when you'll be going out, combine the milk (date it as oldest milk). you don't have to pump every single day, but if you do put in a regular daily pump you might eventually get more output at that session.

what kind of a pump do you have?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi thanks for responding to my thread. Today I pumped a good 1.75 ounces in the morning after I layed him down for his nap. Since then I have a nice knot in my breast. What is the best way to fix this? I thought it would go away after I fed him again or after a hot shower but it has not. It is evening now and it is still there.

"knot" sounds like it might be a plugged duct? is it sore to the touch? the best way to get that sucker out is nursing, massage and heat; lots of mamas do compressions in the shower. and it IS important to get the plug out, or milk can back up in the breast and lead (surprisingly quickly) to mastitis. so nurse nurse nurse, pump if that seems to help, hot shower and compressions. it will hurt. when the plug finally comes out you might get milk spray across the room.

it probably does not have anything to do with your pumping this morning, though, just coincidence.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Agree with Audrey. For clogs I massage behind the clog with gentle forward pressure.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language