Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to portion in freezer

Default How to portion in freezer

I've been combining anything pumped within 24 hrs to try to fill each storage bag as much as possible. Now that it seems 3 oz portions at a time may be better for my lo, would it be best or less wasteful to freeze each bag with 3 oz so it's already portioned? DH gives playtex liner bottles to DD. He fills it up, approx. 4.25 oz. Sometimes lo takes half sometimes she'll drink it all. I'd prefer more consistency. Or, would freezing 4 oz portions be more efficient? The freezer stash has varying amounts, up to 10 oz or full lasinoh BM bags. What is best for portion control?

Default Re: How to portion in freezer

i would freeze in whatever portion is normally used in the bottle. most people find this is 3-4 oz. this does use more bags, but which would you rather waste: bags or your milk?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The max you should freeze in those Lansinoh bags in 6 oz. However to avoid waste I personally would only freeze 3-4 oz portions as this is what most babies drink per session when not overfed. If need be more milk could be thawed whereas you cannot refreeze thawed milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Ok. So good to know I will only put 3-4 oz in each bag from now on. Thank you both for the important info!

some people also do (in addition) some smaller bags of 1-2 oz, that helps when you just have a little left over or when dcp needs just a little top-off.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree with Jenna. I also made smaller bags of only 2 oz each. FWIW, I don't know how you are freezing the bags, but I froze mine laying flat down. It saves room.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!