Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crazy breastfeeding behavior

Default Crazy breastfeeding behavior

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I have an 11 week old girl who has been making breastfeeding...interesting. We had a great start, she's gained weight well, is now just over 11 pounds from birth weight of 6lbs12oz. She has great diaper output. The thing is, she has some crazy behavior for some feeds. She feeds fairly often during the day, and I usually put her to the breast when I notice her sucking her hands or really sticking out her tongue (or when she tries to suck my breast through my shirt ). Sometimes, even with cues, she starts screaming at my breast. I don't have OALD, I don't think. I don't feel my letdown at all. At 5 weeks, she started crying a bit at the breast once in a while. Now, most of the time, I have to feed her standing up, while walking or just swaying, to get her to take the nipple at all. She's also wiggly, and pulls off frequently, flailing her arms and punching herself and me. I have swaddled her, and sometimes it calms her down, but she also can get really angry about it. Her suck is also really strong, and last night, it was like she was trying to suck my nipple right off. Does anyone else have these issues?

Default Re: Crazy breastfeeding behavior

I think this can be normal behavior as long as it is not causing big issues. For example, My 5 week old gets squirmy and fussy at the breast during her fussy 'times' which are once or twice a day, each lasting from 1-3 hours. Also at night if I don't wake up quickly enough for her she gets a tad frantic. But other times she nurses calmly. When she gets fussy her nursing does seem more what I call "desperate' than usual, and tonight when she was fussing I was holding her up near my face and she started sucking like mad on my chin!

So, Is this happening all the time, most of the time, or just some of the time? if it's some of the time, and baby is nursing frequently overall and gaining appropriately, it could just be a fussiness/personality thing and likely a stage. If it's almost all the time, and it's harming baby's ability to nurse well enough overall, affecting weight gain and/or causing you lots of stress, then it's a problem.

Forceful letdown can happen even if you do not feel your letdown. So, I suggest, see if some of the other signs fit and try some of the ideas. I would suggest do not block feed, as you are not sure, but just try the 'help baby with the flow' ideas. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

I would also suggest try nursing at even earlier cues, or don't even wait for any cues, just offer the breast when you like, before baby starts cuing, and see if that helps baby be calmer at the breast more of the time. I find that when my baby is fussy, I sometimes have to offer the breast a few times before she realizes yes that is what she wants and latches. In between I pat her back, change position, let her suck my pinky, etc. Also it is pretty typical for a baby to pull off and on a few times. Again, as long as baby is gaining OK it's likely fine.

Swaddling is one idea, but I found my babies usually prefered if they could touch/hug the breast/knead as they wished. maybe try skin to skin or just being more lightly dressed (you and baby) for easier overall access to the breast.

Oh my gosh I'm having that problem with my 11 week old too...he is nursing nursing nursing and then I have to hook up my sns because I have low supply problems and he nurses a little longer with the tube and then boom! Its like a bolt of lightening strikes him, he starts to kick and writhe yanks back on my tender nipples (he has latching issues to this day probably related to tongue tie from earlier...but wouldn't you know the week I made an app with the Ent Dr he nurses perfectly) and breaks his latch screaming and arching his back and kicking like crazy and flailing too... I try to reattach which is so so hard with that dang sns tube and as soon as he does he rears back screaming again. I thought it was gas at first but there is no way he has gas every time I feed him and no gas when he isn't feeding. I'm so frustrated...I know how much I produce and I log in my formula too every feeding every day and the last 2 days he has gotten about 8 oz less than usual.

I try sitting him up to calm him down and as soon as he gets in and position to feed he starts crying and kicking again. I know how you feel. I think there is something wrong though...no variables have changed except his age. He isn't getting as many wet diapers and he is sleeping more. I would love for this to stop but I don't know if or when it will...my nipples are scanned and bloody again...its about time for the bottle and exclusive pumping. Maybe I can try bfing again in a week when I'm not in adverse misery.

I had no idea that I would have so many problems with something as natural and simple as breastfeeding.

I kind of figured it was "normal" behavior, but it's just so exhausting. She often so disgruntled all day. It'll start after a big spit-up in the morning, and then she's crankypants for the rest of the day, crying when I even put her in the usual feeding position. Some feeds she's ok, some feeds I'm walking around the house with her nursing, pulling off, crying, latching back, over and over. I guess it's just her way. I think she has a touch of reflux, but nothing that's impeding her from eating.

I tend to offer the breast a lot, just because when she's upset it's my first thought to calm her down. Sometimes she wants, sometimes not. Today I fed her every hour. Getting myself ready for the upcoming growth spurt, I guess.

Thanks for the info

Sounds familliar...this is surprisingly reassuring....weird, I know, being relieved. That someone else is also dealing with nutty behavior. I really hope its just a phase...

By the way, my son had issues with reflux and I was always feeding him in the cradle position on a boppy pillow...I changed the angle he was feeding at to be greater than 30 degrees (with his head higher of course) and I stopped laying him down after a feed for af least an hour after as well as an occaisonal burp in the middle of a feed if I noticed him getting squirmy which would often indicate an upcoming vomit... the positioning really helped and now he hardly vomits. I do get spit up and he still gets agitated if he is really kicking while on his back even hours after a feed...but its oh so much better just with positioning alone. I am not one to rush to get a medication for something like reflux. If you haven't tried positioning and keeping your baby upright for a whiile after a feed...it may help to do so.

Let me know when your baby passes through this phase if it indeed a phase...I would like some hope!