Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to deal with re-portioning frozen milk.

Default How to deal with re-portioning frozen milk.

Hi mommas! I work part-time, two days a week and my 9 month old takes bottles while I'm gone. Up until recently he was taking 6 ounce bottles. I know now from reading posts here that he was likely being over-fed. I had no idea. Anyway, because that's what he was drinking, I was freezing in 6 or 7 ounce bags since that would typically be one pumping session for me. Well, he is now taking in 4-5 ounce bottles while I'm gone. And I'm only missing two feedings. My question is how to deal with thawing my frozen stash for that first day that I'm gone. If I take out the two bags necessary that will be 12 to 14 ounces. Only 8-10 will be used that day. How do I not end up throwing out the extra? If I pull the bags the night before into the fridge, they are usually still partially frozen in the a.m. Otherwise I would just divide them up before I leave. So my husband usually puts one in some warm water to finish thawing it, pours what he needs in a bottle and puts the rest in the fridge. But that's not enough for the second bottle. Once those leftover ounces have been warmed though, its my understanding that they need to be offered at the next feeding or trashed, right? And I can't re-freeze. So what can I do? Any advice? My second work day isnt an issue since I just use the fresh milk from the day before. It's just that first day that is killing me. I hate wasting those precious ounces! Thanks for the help!!!
    Momma to B. Born 11/27/11 at 10 lbs 2 oz.

Default Re: How to deal with re-portioning frozen milk.

Can you thaw in fridge until liquid then warm 4 oz and use the remainder the next morning?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

yes, use remainder next morning, and then freeze some of your fresh milk from day before, in 3-4 oz bags. that'll help you rotate out your supply gradually, too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Sounds like you just need a bit more time to thaw in the fridge. I would just take it out of the freezer the morning before you need the milk (instead of the evening). Then there is no need for him to warm the milk to thaw and you can portion out for the 2 days however you need to.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

You'd have to see how it was though after a full 48 hours, it's supposed to be used within 24 hours which is why I was thinking of stretching slightly to the next morning.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

my DH found that thawing milk in the warmer always turned it sour. we had to thoroughly thaw in fridge first. which sounds like what you should do. if you do that, there shouldn't be any problem using the thawed milk on the 2nd day.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze. "after it has finished thawing" so you are good.

Here are some helpful guidelines
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/

I think the suggestion of thawing to liquid in the fridge and just heating the portion about to be used would work. The remainder can be used the next morning.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Thank you so much for all the responses!!!
    Momma to B. Born 11/27/11 at 10 lbs 2 oz.