Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting/Gnawing

Default Biting/Gnawing

My 8 month old does have teeth yet but she seems to be on the verge of getting them. We do baby led weaning so she has learned to gnaw/chew with her gums when she has food and now she is doing it on me. Any ideas? How do I get her not to do this? It is pretty painful and I imagine it will be worse when she actually has teeth.

Default Re: Biting/Gnawing

she does it on you on your nipple, or other places like your finger, arm, shoulder? you can definitely redirect her to gnaw on more appropriate things; sometimes i substitute my finger for my shoulder, or a teething ring for my finger.

if she bites your nipple, you can a) remove her by sticking your finger in the corner of her mouth, to break the latch, offer a teether, then offer to nurse again, or b) pull her in to your breast and she'll release the latch when she needs to breath
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: Biting/Gnawing

Eeep! No fun being a teether!!

As PP mentioned, having a teether nearby is a good idea + being ready to break the latch is important too.

Being consistent is key. Baby will learn eventually that the gnawing the breast = milk bar closure. If you smile/laugh or make a game of it then you might create what your LO believes is a fun game ("if I bite mom she makes funny noises, silly lady! i'm going to do it AGAIN").
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.