Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to control amount of solids?

Default Do I need to control amount of solids?

My baby is 6 1/2 months. I started her a little early on solids (5 1/2 months) because she seemed very ready, and also because I was going back to work and she hated the bottle. I didn't want her to be unhappy and crying due to hunger, and since she likes solids a lot, I asked her sitter to offer her the bottle/sippy first but then give her solids. It's been working well, but my baby always acts like she wants more. She prefers solids to expressed milk. Even from the first time trying food, she was like this, but I was worried about proper rations. The sitter keeps asking if it is okay to give her more, but I haven't let her yet because I know she's supposed to get mostly milk. At home I nurse her on demand, and I also nurse her over my lunch break. She is big for her age - 20 lbs. She is currently getting 1/2 gerber's jar in the morning, and another 1/2 in the afternoon. This is about 2 1/2. Is it okay to give her more?

Thanks!

Default Re: Do I need to control amount of solids?

What baby food are you giving her? Only jars? Any rice cereal?
    For the first year breastmilk/formula is supposed to be the primary source of nutrition because it has the balanced protein, carbs, fats, nutrients, etc for your child's growing body. Its always advised to give the milk before the solids. You also could run into the problem of constipation from too much solids and not enough liquids.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

can you make your own puree with a solid and a lot of breastmilk? that would help tilt the ratio back -
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh that's a good idea -- I didn't think about making the puree! I could ask the sitter to do that. I agree that's why I want her to get more breastmilk but she just far prefers the solids when she's with the sitter to taking expressed milk. WIth the solids she grabs the spoon and makes it very clear that she wants more. As far as what she's eating -- at home I give her taste's of bananas, avocados and new food, but just tastes. I mostly nurse her at home. When I go to work, I send her with baby food jars -- carrots and pears are her favorites but she'll eat anything.

and she hasn't been constipated or shown any problems. She's eating a jar a day, but acts like she wants more.

I would be offering breastmilk first, and then high calorie, nutrient/fat dense foods like avocado, sweet potato, etc.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)