Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unweaning 15 month old

Exclamation unweaning 15 month old

I am desperate to unwean my 15 month old son. He has just arrived home from a vacation with his grandparents for the past month (they live on the other side of the country) but due to financial reasons I was not able to go with them. I was pumping for him while he was gone. My supply has dropped drastically and have finally gotten my first period since Oct 2010 which I know probably has helped with the plummet of my supply. He was so attached to my bbs before leaving I didn't think that he would forget by the time he came home. First night he was home I tried to latch him on and he bit me so hard that now 3 days later it is still in pain. I held my lip and didn't say a word when he bit down and just released him. I cried my eyes out it was much worse then when I let him leave ( and I was saying bye to both my kids.) I feel like such a failure and I have lost my bond to him. I try every time it's a nap time, bed time with no luck as when he left I would only nurse him twice a day. The only information that I can find is how to unwean a baby that only depends on milk and not on toddlers.

I have tried laying with him topless and all he does is pinch my nipples and laugh at them. I try and squirt him in the mouth with bm so that he would be intrested by the taste with no luck. I have stopped pumping completely now as I'm only pulling in about half an oz between the 2. I have a medela pump in style and when he left I was able to get at least 4-5oz from each side per session. My freezer was getting too full as I don't have a deep freeze so I had to reduce the amount I was pumping.

How will I successfully get him back to breast? He will drink the pumped bm out of a sippy though (he left with some for his vacation) I don't think I can continue to pump though, it's just not me.

My next goal was to make it to 18 months (when I first started my goal was 2 weeks, I am darn proud of myself!) I don't know if I should just cut my losses and be happy that we made it 13 months without a hitch.

I'm just at a total loss...I don't feel like he's the same kid anymore

Default Re: unweaning 15 month old

I can imagine how hard this must be for you to feel like you have had the oppertunity to breastfeed your son again taken away from you. But you must see that a month is a long time to a little kid. It's not your fault for letting him go away with his grandparents and it's not his fault. He still loves you just as much as he did when he left and still needs you. You have to start a fresh with him now is all. He has sadly moved on from the breastfeeding and not bothered to tell you. You shouldn't be sad but I can understand why you would be, the last time is often at the most unexpected time. Also, you should be really proud of yourself. Breastfeeding is no where near perfect at least half of the time, I'm sure you did a wonderful job. But if your son no longer has a need to breastfeed then I think you should look at him, smile and think about the fun you will have with him in the future. (ENJOY THE SLEEP). Good luck

you should be darn proud of yourself!

will he dream feed? nurse in his sleep? that's often a way to get back tot he breast.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I've tried since hes been back to dream feed him when he wakes up at night. I'm telling you I thought I had lack of sleep when I would dream feed him before as he would nurse probably 70% of the night, that it wad weird not having him wake me up most of the night that I would be tossing and turning. I will keep trying to offer it to him in hopes he will take it eventually

i'm sorry mama - i can tell you are so wrought over this. whatever happens, know that you did an amazing job of giving him milk for 13 months. i think it's worth keeping trying, but -

some babies do wean this early even without the separation you had - my mom tells me that i stopped nursing at 14 months, and my sister at 12.5. especially if your little one is happy and well adjusted now that he's back with you, at least you know that he's not traumatized by a too-early weaning or anything like that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you so much for your support! Tonight went a little bit better, he did try a little bit. A lot more then what I expected. Then it dawned on me that maybe the reason he is refusing is because I'm not as full as I used to be. My breast shape has changed drastically with the so little milk I have left. I was really hoping that him and I would be able to work on getting my supply back up when he returned home as he was obsessed with the boob! He is drinking the pumped stuff no problem like it's going out of style really lol. He'll drink 6oz- 8oz and want some more. I have a prescription for domperidone which I was hoping I wouldn't have to use. But I think I'm at my last straw and it's time to pull out the pump again (since the supply in the freezer is finally getting used I will have more room) and give the domperidone a shot.

I know he will be fine without it though, I just wish we had more time Oh well can't complain he went from a little 6lbs 6oz peanut into a 27lbs toddler

the pumping will help,but if he'll nurse that'll be more effective at bringing your milk in. so keep at it! glad to know he tried tonight. you can do this.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13