Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk catcher

Default Milk catcher

It's way too early for me to be worrying about this (am still only in my first trimester), but I suddenly remember how badly I leaked the first few months breastfeeding DD--I'd wake up in the mornings looking like someone had thrown a bucket of water on my shirt. Nursing pads inserted into my bra would emerge after five minutes completely sodden and defeated. And all the dripping towels awkwardly clutched to one breast while feeding DD at the other... It was just such an incredibly wet, uncomfortable mess.

First of all, I was wondering if women who leaked with their first baby tend to be leaky with any subsequent babies.

Second, nursing pads just didn't work for me. They were way too wimpy. So I'm curious about those milk catchers--I know there's one called Milkies--that actually contain the leaking milk, which you then pour out after. I did a lot of searching and there seems to be very little comment about them on this forum. From what I've read, Milkies is like a cup, so it leaks pretty easily and can't be used while lying down. Was curious if there are any alternatives or if anyone can actually recommend a particular product.

Default Re: Milk catcher

I leaked a TON with my first during the first couple months, but this time around I don't leak at all! But I also nursed throughout my pregnancy so maybe my breasts remembered what to do?
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: Milk catcher

Hmm, interesting. We're you nursing two kids though? Could be the older one was helping to get the milk out efficiently. DD was not a good nurser, as a baby, which might explain all the excess squirting going on