Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stop switching sides!

Default Stop switching sides!

My 18 month old began a new sometimes annoying habit while bfing. She will nurse for a couple of seconds then want to switch sides. She does this over and over again. She gets quite irritated if I try to ignore her request. The only time she doesn't do this is while nursing in the middle of the night. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop? It was cute at first but enough already.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

Default Re: Stop switching sides!

oh, yeah, mine's been doing that the last couple months. i roll with it at home - just lounge topless mostly - but enforce much more modest behavior in company/public. i haven't found a way to curb it, but it doesn't bother me much, plus he is just SO. HAPPY. to get to lunge back and forth. sorry it's really annoying you ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's a good time to start teaching nursing manners. It's really ok at this age. I would just only offer one and say, "Nope. Finish here and then you can have the other." I wouldn't allow this if it bothers you. If it's cute at 18 months but starting to annoy you, by 24 months (and beyond) you'll feel crazy. Ask me how I know?!

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infan...ing-manners-2/

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    It's a good time to start teaching nursing manners. It's really ok at this age. I would just only offer one and say, "Nope. Finish here and then you can have the other." I wouldn't allow this if it bothers you. If it's cute at 18 months but starting to annoy you, by 24 months (and beyond) you'll feel crazy. Ask me how I know?!

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infan...ing-manners-2/
    OMG. Yes.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I can totally see that it can get annoying. Especially when she's on my lap, it's not so easy to switch sides. Now that you mentioned nursing manners...What have you ladies found successful to discourage your LO from pulling at your shirt?
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

Well, it can take a while, but I taught Joe sign language for milk, and also encouraged him to ask verbally (he was speech delayed so that really took a while). When he'd grab my shirt, I'd take his hand and say, no ... remember the sign? can you use the sign? (Of course mostly he didn't so I would model it.) And when he did use the sign, I'd drop everything to give him what he wanted and praise him. He did get it eventually.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

At a meeting I went to a couple months ago, we were told this was pretty normal at this age. DD has tried this a few times and I'm just a little more persistent than her with this even though we/she doesn't NIP, I don't want her doing this because she tends to get rough because she thinks it's a game and the only time we nurse is first thing in the morning and before naps and bedtime so I don't like her getting riled up at those time. This may go against what others will say on here, but I would let her have two times on each sides before I said we were done. It didn't take her long to figure out that it was just easier to drain one side before going to the other.