Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk or Allergy issue

Default Hindmilk or Allergy issue

About 2 weeks ago my LO started getting bright green, mucousy poops. He was not draining my breast adequately (we have had TONS of nursing issues), so I made the decision to EP. The bright green poops have not stopped, even though I am pumping every 2-3 hours, 8 times/day, 20/mins per session. I have a letdown right away that continues for 8 mins. It then slows to drops until the 20 minute mark. Occasionally I have a letdown at 15 minutes. All the milk looks pretty white and thin. Is it possible to have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance when pumping? Could this be an allergy? We are going to the doc tomorrow and I'm afraid he's going to tell me to switch to formula, as I think LO is losing weight. Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Hindmilk or Allergy issue

Hi, sorry to hear about your issues, and you are awesome for keeping up the EP 8x a day! I know it's tough. My LO had weight gain issues as well in the early stages. How old is your LO? Sounds like you need to see a certified IBCLC as soon as possible - I did this and only wished I had gone to her sooner! She really was able to evaluate the problem in person and provide a plan to get his weight gain on track.

How old is your baby? If you suspect an allergy you could try eliminating dairy from your diet to see if it helps. I think if you are draining the breast when you pump (and it sounds like you are) it is probably not a fore-milk hind-milk imbalance.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also, you mentioned this started two weeks ago. Is there anything else that changed at that time?