Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom, going back2work, ISO nanny part-time

Default New mom, going back2work, ISO nanny part-time

I'm an over 40 first time mom who was focused on career for 21 years. 7 weeks ago my daughter was born, what an amazing addition and enhancement to my life. My husband and I are in love and at times overwhelmed (who isn't?). Unfortunately I'll have to return to work when she's 12 weeks -I know it's too soon for me. I'll post in the working mom section too, but I need to hire a part time nanny. My husband will be doing the balance of our baby care. As a feed on demand breast feeder, non paci user, co-sleeper and attachment parent I'm just not sure the big nanny portals are the best resource for me. I have 2 personal referrals but both want full time. If anyone has recos for finding a nanny whose care approach would be closest to ours, I'd be grateful. We are North Atlanta. One related concern. I feed on demand (started pumping to store milk this week) and baby is a serious soothe at the breast type. Of course I picture her screaming for me upon my return to work when I know I just need to enjoy the next 5 weeks. I need some assurance here! Thank you.

Default Re: New mom, going back2work, ISO nanny part-time

I had my last baby at 41 years of age!
    Just wanted to give you a nod of recognition.
    I grew my own in house help,( older kids born when I was in my twenties).
    Good luck and happy nursing!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I hired a nanny for when I went back to work full time when my son was 8 weeks old (too soon, as well). I really want to encourage you that YOU are the employer and that your rules (as long as they don't totally disrespect the employee) go. It'll probably take more education of your nanny, especially if she's had experience with formula fed babies, but there's no reason not to expect this kind of approach to child raising.

We went through an agency in Seattle, and I was just super clear on what I wanted and they helped me find someone (for a fee). It may take a little more time and research and investment, but it's definitely do-able. My son has had three different nannies due a variety of issues, and all have basically done what we wanted for him.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

i agree with being strong about being the boss, but always good to be reminded. i followed through on that with labor and delivery and did not let a nurse, doc or anyone else try to decide what was best for me. My husband was a great LandD partner, but having an amazing doula really helped.