Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distractibility in a 10 week old?

Default Distractibility in a 10 week old?

I mentioned this in my previous thread, so thought I'd just start a new one for additional advice. My daughter is acting exactly like the articles that describe distracible babies. She latches on, brings a let down and then is off and on many times before finally deciding she's done. Looking around, pulling my nipple around in her mouth, etc. (Sometimes letting go to smile at me, which is precious, of course.) This would all be well and good, except that her wet diapers the last couple of days haven't been as good and I think these feedings are contributing to a slowdown in her weight gain. Yesterday afternoon through this morning she hasn't even adequately drained a breast during a feeding. I went ahead and manually pumped a little of her leftovers out so my breasts would have a good emptying. Should I give that to her via syringe if her diapers still aren't good today? (Yesterday she only had 4 OK diapers. She's had two good ones so far today (and one ok one), so hopefully we're on a better track today. At what point is dehydration a concern?

Default Re: Distractibility in a 10 week old?

i wouldn't say you need to be concerned with dehydration at this point. have you tried nursing her in a dark, quiet room to minimize distractions?

from kellymom.com (awesome breastfeeding resource to bookmark, many of the mamas on here will attest to that), signs of dehydration:

fewer than 2 wet diapers in a 24-hour period
    baby not behaving normally (more irritable, less active, sleeping more)
    lethargy
    listlessness
    weak cry
    no tears (in an infant older than 3 months)
    dry mouth
    skin that stays wrinkly-looking when pinched (pull up the skin on the front of the hand; it should pop easily back into place – not stay pinched or wrinkly-looking)
    eyes that look sunken
    cool, clammy extremities, especially the fingers and toes
    fast breathing, or a heart that is beating faster than usual
    fever
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Thanks! Thankfully she doesn't have any of those signs, so that's a relief.

I have tried the dark, quiet room, but it was overnight and she's always been difficult to feed when sleepy. SheMs definitely not a dreamfeeder at all. I have an active 3 year old also, but will try to get a quiet feeding in during his naptime and see if it's better. I did just feed her while rocking pretty actively and that seemed to help a tiny bit. I'm going to try a nursing cover next. She usually hates it, but maybe it'll be good today.

many moms find that nursing covers make distraction worse. but if it works for you, use it! yes, it is hard to get a quiet, dark room to nurse in when you have a toddler running loose, totally been there! you can try sitting the older one down with an activity that you know will hold their interest for a little while and take baby into the room to nurse. you can even try room-darkening shades, if your window dressings don't keep light out.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling