Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: burning...

Default burning...

Hi ladies! So I'm 30 this year and this is my second kiddo. My son is 10 years old and my daughter is 7 weeks old lol I know that's quite a gap. I'm finding breastfeeding this go round is a lot more difficult than it was with my son. I'm producing plenty of milk for her, but I also need to pump. I guess my question, because I do get a good amount about 6oz total when I pump in the mornings after the first feeding, and about 4oz in the afternoon, is is that how much is about normal for right now? With my son I could've cured the hunger in Ethiopia with the amount of milk I produced, and with my daughter it's not quite as much. ALSO and this is the worst part, I went through the painful nipple part in the begining and then that went away. WELL now they dont hurt like they did in the begining, but they feel like they are burning, it starts when she very first latches on and starts the initial sucking, then they are fine once she gets going, and then they burn again after she stops and it lasts for a little while, they hurt to touch etc. They don't look like anything is wrong, they are normal color and texture I guess you could say, is this normal? And one more thing, my breasts are sore to the touch whether empty or full, and when they "fill up" (I think thats whats happening) is it normal for them to feel like they are burning. I would appreciate any input. My daughter is solely breastfed, and I refuse to be defeated by pain, NO PAIN NO GAIN right lol. Thanks for reading ladies

Default Re: burning...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zackndelaneysmama View Post
    I guess my question, because I do get a good amount about 6oz total when I pump in the mornings after the first feeding, and about 4oz in the afternoon, is is that how much is about normal for right now? With my son I could've cured the hunger in Ethiopia with the amount of milk I produced, and with my daughter it's not quite as much.
    That is excellent pumping output! And totally normal to pump more milk in the morning than later in the day.

ALSO and this is the worst part, I went through the painful nipple part in the begining and then that went away. WELL now they dont hurt like they did in the begining, but they feel like they are burning, it starts when she very first latches on and starts the initial sucking, then they are fine once she gets going, and then they burn again after she stops and it lasts for a little while, they hurt to touch etc. They don't look like anything is wrong, they are normal color and texture I guess you could say, is this normal? And one more thing, my breasts are sore to the touch whether empty or full, and when they "fill up" (I think thats whats happening) is it normal for them to feel like they are burning.
    So the burning does not last the entire duration of the feeding?

My thoughts are this:
    -Could you have a strong letdown? Some women may experience a burning-like sensation as their milk lets down. This can also feel like shooting pain through the breast as milk ducts rapidly expand with the flow of milk. This feeling can also happen after a feeding.

-Could it be a vasospam? Very painful, burning sensation, especially after feedings when the damp nipple is exposed to cooler air (versus the warm air inside of baby's mouth) and especially when exposed to cold in general. The pain can be shooting or radiating through the entire breast. The nipple itself make look fine, with no cracking or creasing, but the color will change to white while you are feeling the pain. Pain from vasospasms is often incorrectly diagnosed and treated as thrush.

-Could it be thrush?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

with JoEllen.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with JoEllen. Burning makes me think thrush.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I had a burning sensation where my nipple actually turned white, bright white. Turned out to be vasospasm, I used dry warm compresses after feeding and also used the linsohl sp?. It took care of it for the most part but I still have bouts of it. I'm not overly helpful here but it's my story. Also I share in the same milk supply, I produce an oz of milk every 4 minutes and I can pump 4-6 oz. every session.

Thanks for everyones input. It was very helpful.