Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 month old waking every two hours: molars? growth spurt?

Default 9 month old waking every two hours: molars? growth spurt?

Hi Mommas!

I have no idea what took me so long to find these forums, but I'm so happy to be here among like-thinking moms. My first baby is 9 months old. We EBF for 6 months, at which point we had a total of 8 teeth, so we started some purees and some degree of BLW. I have never had an issue with supply, in fact, had some degree of oversupply and an overactive letdown. As of last week we were BFing every 4 hours around the clock--so 6 or 7 sessions/24 hours + 3 "solid" meals. This doesn't sound like a lot after reading a lot of the postings here. But, he was happy! And I was totally fine with the nighttime feedings. B goes to sleep in his crib to start the night and then at his first waking (usually 4 hours later) we have been co-sleeping the rest of the night.

This week is a total change... he is waking every 2 hours (sometimes every 90 minutes) and is completely inconsolable until he is nursed. This feels like a huge leap backwards to me. I know I have been spoiled with the every 4 hour feedings. I guess I'm wondering what the issue could be--oh, if they could only tell us! Or if there even IS an issue? I do suspect that we are getting even more teeth--maybe molars at this point? We have had some ear pulling (infection ruled out) and lots of chewing again. Anyone have experience with molars being this terrible??? Is there a 9 month growth spurt? Is he starving?? And, of course, I'm even questioning my supply at this point. Again, he seems content during the day. I work part-time (2 full days a week) and his bottle intake has actually dropped off a bit (he was taking 3 bottles while I was gone, now I only miss 2 feeds and he has been drinking 4-5 ounces each time).

The logical side of my brains knows that this is a phase and it will pass. Just like I'm reading all the posts from moms with babies at 3 months and 6 months and thinking, oh, I remember that... it goes away. And I know that he is waking for a REASON. The other side of me hears other parents and my pediatrician saying "he doesn't need to eat at night at his age. It's separation anxiety. You are creating the situation. Blah, blah, blah." And while I know it's blah, blah, blah, I would certainly prefer the twice nightly feeds to the every 2 hour thing. Like back in the newborn days! sigh. I certainly am trying to do what's best for my B. It's so discouraging though to feel like I've come so far only to be back to the beginning. And with very little support. I'm not interested in trying to wean until at least 1 year, but if he IS this hungry should I be giving more solids? I've tried nursing more frequently during the day lately and while he does nurse, he doesn't really seem interested and it hasn't stopped the nighttime waking. I guess that should answer my question that he isn't really hungry probably just needing comfort feeds, yes?

Oh yeah, and he is gaining weight, although it has slowed since we're so busy trying to move. Diapers are wet and messy appropriately.

Thanks for any thoughts/commiseration/words of wisdom. It is most appreciated.

Default Re: 9 month old waking every two hours: molars? growth spurt

Sounds pretty normal. My little guy is 9 and some change months and has always been a frequent night waker. (I found long ago that having my clock turned away from my view at night makes me happier.) But he's been constantly in teething mode for months now, and I assume that plays a large part in his wakings. (I will say his latest tooth just erupted and I had the most sleep last night I have had in so so long.) I think molars usually come in around a year, but if your baby already has all the rest of his teeth so far, then maybe he's just early on molars, too . I find my LO nurses better (more peacefully) at night due to his distraction during the day, so I prefer the night nursing to the fierce daytime ones. There is also a growth spurt somewhere in here, but I personally have never really noticed growth spurts per se, but he certainly goes through phases of nursing more frequently, and not sleeping at all it sEEMs like. (sorry,he's messing with `keyboard). then he will `su`ddenlny sleep alot, and I will have blissful nights and napful days. Maybe those are just around the corner for you--here's hoping, right? It can be hard to pinpoint a "reason" for every little eccentricity or change. I have more or less stopped trying, and just call everything a phase. Usually a day or two after I am so fed up with the latest phase that I think things just can't keep getting worse, they change again for a new phase.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

My guess is that he will go back to sleeping in longer blocks as soon as he finishes whatever developmental stage he is in. Is he working on crawling? Perhaps he's having separation anxiety. Lilah did that from around 9 months to around 14 months where she would wake every 45 to 90 minutes all night long. It wasn't every night, but probably 5 out of 7 nights of the week. Thank goodness Trixie isn't like that.

BUT. I also want to say that you seem to have an unrealistic view that sleep development is going to progress in a linear fashion. It doesn't. They go from not waking up to waking a few times. Or maybe they wake once or twice a night for a few months and then they are back to 5 times a night and then go back to the once or twice a night. And maybe sometimes they don't wake at all (haven't experienced that with Beatrix yet - and she's 19 months old!). My almost 4 year old sleeps through the night - meaning that she doesn't need parental involvement anyway - at least half the time. But she sometimes needs help getting a drink of water or going to the bathroom. And when she's in the midst of a growth spurt or a developmental spurt, she wakes up more often. Right now both of my girls are sick, so they are both waking up a bunch.

So... relax, cosleep after the first wake up - you've still got 2 hours to yourself at the beginning of the night - and know that someday your baby will be a teenager that won't wake up no matter what you do.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

sleeping through the night is not a developmental milestone. It is not on the same continuum as smiling, eye contact, sitting up unassisted, clapping hands etc...
    It is a sign of good health for an infant to wake and to need to be fed at night.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I love the BS line being thrown at you about your "causing"'separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a cognitive milestone that emerges when Baby is mature enough to form close social bonds. It's a legitimate milestone that emerges like clockwork among all babies around 7-8 months. If you're "causing" it, then you're God. If that's the case, then I'd love to ask you some questions...

In all seriousness, it sounds par for the course. The one thing I'd advise is to breastfeed on cue, as you mention nursing at 4 hour intervals. Babies that age are revving up for serious development and need all the access to nourishment they can get. this may very well spill over into more night feedings as everything in the daytime world is becoming so exciting to LO. (My son is 10 months old and we just had a two-week spell of 6+ *night* wakings for feeds...not to mention all the day feeds. He shot up from comfortably wearing 12-18 to 18-24 month clothes in height that quickly, so it happens.)

Good luck. Oh, and if you don't already have one, I highly recommend an iPhone or tablet during the night nurse-a-thons.

ETA follow-on: I'm going to recycle a recommendation I once read here. The book "The Wonder Weeks" would almost certainly be of interest to you. Two academic behaviouralsts/anthropologists (I believe) separate cognitive development over the first 2 years into a dozen or so predictable (+/- a couple of weeks) discrete jumps. It has some really interesting material, and you'll read that your LO is just ramping up for a leap. I read it cover to cover and have since re-read the most recent leap chapter twice!

PS. Cuddlebug, I love your name. It just oozes love and tenderness!!

You've gotten great advice already. Babies don't sleep longer and longer as they get older. Rather, they go through phases of better and worse sleep. That's totally normal.

But to answer your question: molars can be brutal. I thought the Himalayas must be bursting through Joe's gums they were so wretched. Sorry. have you tried ibuprofen?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ohmygoodness, you women rock!!! Yes, absolutely, all this advice makes me feel so much better. I guess I was just pretty shocked at how QUICK things went from a couple wakings, to many wakings. I should know by now that that IS the way it goes from the progress that we have made so far. It's easy to forget when things are going fairly good, I guess. I was concerned enough that we investigated the possibility of ear infection(s) and I just needed someone with more experience (sanity?) to tell me that it's okay. It's so hard when all anyone wants to know is "is he sleeping through the night yet???" How do you all respond to that???

To address some specifics:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    It can be hard to pinpoint a "reason" for every little eccentricity or change. I have more or less stopped trying, and just call everything a phase. Usually a day or two after I am so fed up with the latest phase that I think things just can't keep getting worse, they change again for a new phase.
    Yes, you're absolutely right. Again, I needed reminding. My other job is a researcher, so I'm constantly looking for the reason for things. Obviously this is pointless with babies that are changing so rapidly, but that doesn't always stop my brain from trying! Thank you for the reminder. Things do change so quickly. With our 9 month "birthday" I was looking back at our newborn photos and was shocked to find that I hardly recognize that little bundle anymore! How far we have come.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    My guess is that he will go back to sleeping in longer blocks as soon as he finishes whatever developmental stage he is in. Is he working on crawling? Perhaps he's having separation anxiety.

BUT. I also want to say that you seem to have an unrealistic view that sleep development is going to progress in a linear fashion. It doesn't. They go from not waking up to waking a few times. Or maybe they wake once or twice a night for a few months and then they are back to 5 times a night and then go back to the once or twice a night.

So... relax, cosleep after the first wake up - you've still got 2 hours to yourself at the beginning of the night - and know that someday your baby will be a teenager that won't wake up no matter what you do.
    Lol. Teenagers! Scary!!! Yes, he is working on crawling... and pulling up... and sitting up... sigh. Why did I not think about that?! Thank you. Of course. Yes, this happened before when he was learning to roll. Now he sleeps comfortably on his belly in his crib. And you are absolutely right about the sleep development as well. It's so hard to remember these things when I've got the only BF baby in the family and EVERYONE is expecting him to be sleeping through the night by now. Uh, yeah... that's not happening. And I really didn't expect it to. It's just such a shock to have such a sudden change! That's the way it goes though! Thank you for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    sleeping through the night is not a developmental milestone. It is not on the same continuum as smiling, eye contact, sitting up unassisted, clapping hands etc...
    It is a sign of good health for an infant to wake and to need to be fed at night.
    Thank you! Would you care to send this statement out on a postcard to my family/friends/pediatrician/well-intended strangers?! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    I love the BS line being thrown at you about your "causing"'separation anxiety. Separation anxiety is a cognitive milestone that emerges when Baby is mature enough to form close social bonds. It's a legitimate milestone that emerges like clockwork among all babies around 7-8 months. If you're "causing" it, then you're God. If that's the case, then I'd love to ask you some questions...

In all seriousness, it sounds par for the course. The one thing I'd advise is to breastfeed on cue, as you mention nursing at 4 hour intervals.

Good luck. Oh, and if you don't already have one, I highly recommend an iPhone or tablet during the night nurse-a-thons.

I'm going to recycle a recommendation I once read here. The book "The Wonder Weeks" would almost certainly be of interest to you.

PS. Cuddlebug, I love your name. It just oozes love and tenderness!!
    Haha, you've got questions, I've got answers! I did not mean to imply that we aren't BFing on cue... it just so happened that we were averaging about every 4 hours. Sometimes 3, 4 or 5 or somewhere in between. I had some concerns that I just wasn't feeding him often enough since I've been reading some babes his age are still nursing 12+ times a day. But then I think between his efficiency and my fast letdown he is getting enough since he seems satisfied during the day? And had been during the nighttime too up until this week. Heh. Is that right? The iPhone is getting a ton of use... as is the sudoku app. Also.. duh. The Wonder Weeks is sitting on my shelf at home. I haven't looked at it since 3 months! Thank you so much for the responses. I truly appreciate it. (cuddlebug is a nickname my DH gave me... it has also earned me the association with ladybugs)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    You've gotten great advice already. Babies don't sleep longer and longer as they get older. Rather, they go through phases of better and worse sleep. That's totally normal.

But to answer your question: molars can be brutal. I thought the Himalayas must be bursting through Joe's gums they were so wretched. Sorry. have you tried ibuprofen?
    Molars! ARGH! Once we had 8 teeth, I thought we'd get a bit of a break. Not so it seems. And I already thought that 6 teeth at once was pretty brutal. We did do ibuprofen off and on during our last teething bout. I'm not sure how much it helped, but I guess we could give it a go. Poor bubs. Thanks!
    Momma to B. Born 11/27/11 at 10 lbs 2 oz.

So glad you're feeling relieved, cuddlebug

Re: people asking about STTN, I say a flat "no" and say "we're very happy with our arrangement" if the person has asked a lot in the past. If I'm feeling light-hearted, I'll joke (e.g. he sleeps at many points through the night and in the early morning, too!). I don't hear the words STTN so much as "is he a good sleeper ", to which I usually reply with a grin "yes, he does it every night".

I think the key is to portray confidence in your approach. If it's not "broken" in your eyes, you'll rob the fix-its of the opportunity to "save" you.

It's easiest just to say "she's a good sleeper" and move on. About STTN, you can shrug and say "yep, we're working on it." I find that "no" tends to just get you a barrage of unwanted advice.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.