Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: week old not suckling - urgent!

Default week old not suckling - urgent!

He lost weight after the birth and my milk coming in was delayed by him not suckling and sleeping too much. i double pump after each feed so he gets supplement through a syringe. problem is he forgets how to suck after feeding from syringe so its a vicious circle! i've so much milk and cannot spend hours on feeding him as my other two children are totally neglected.
    birth weight 3kg680
    he went down to 3kg290
    he's currently at 3kg460
    i pump betwen 70-100ml after each feed

is there any other way to supplement?
    is there any quick solution to this as time is limited and my DH returns to work soon and I'll have to cope with 3kids?
    Feeding currently takes 1-3hrs as I give the breast (he instantly falls asleep so its a question of me spending most of the time trying to wake him up), then I give supplement and then I pump. I've tried many positions and found the rugby hold and the sitting in front to be the best ones. I wear nipple shields as have one inverted nipple and he seems to get latched easier since I wear them.
    Please help!

Default Re: week old not suckling - urgent!

Has he ever latched on and sucked or is this a new thing after the syringe? Have you had his palate and tongue checked by a board certified lactation consultant?

There is an SNS (supplemental nursing system) that is a tube that goes into the bottle of milk and tapes to your breast so that baby is getting milk from your breast and doesn't rely on a bottle.

Remember that it isn't going to always be this challenging. You have hit a road block but you can work through this. I would strongly suggest, if you feel he has a weak suck, that you see a professional as soon as possible to ensure there are no physical reasons before you start moving through other options.

Contact your local LLL leader for help finding a lactation consultant if you are having trouble.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I will try and come back with more later but l with the pp. Also try and google suck training.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Your older kids willbe fine. My fourth son was born with a cleft lip and palate. He couldn't nurse. So I pumped, then spent an equal amount of time feeding the baby, then repeat. For months. My older kids were here and maybe watched more TV than I'd like, but it was OK. I had to do what I had to do.

Has anyone checked into why he doesnt suck well, like a tongue tie?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

First to answer your questions:
    He latched on and sucked beautiful right after the birth for 2 days, on day 3 he lacked energy, had lost weight and started falling asleep at the breast. It's taken a week of training but he now knows how to latch on and suck once again, but the supplement feeding is confusing him and it's harder each time for him to suck (he latches on fine) from me.
    His palate and tongue have been checked and are fine.
    We've been trying a home-made version of the SNS but it leaked everywhere. The only way we can successfully supplement him is through a nipple shield on a finger (to reduce confusion) and with syringe. Using a bare finger was making him forget how to latch.
    The main problem is that he sleeps at the breast. I spent most of last night trying to wake him up, him asking for food, I put him on breast, he automatically goes comatose, I take him off breast, he asks for food, etc etc. I spent hours at this and OH has reached breaking point.
    We've spent the last 2 wks struggling with supplement feeding confusing him. Is there anything we can do to stop him sleeping at breast? I strip him, change nappy, tickle, touch, talk to him, take him off breast, etc. Even when the milk is pouring out and in his mouth, he doesn't swallow sometimes and it goes everywhere.
    Last edited by @llli*mumofthree123; September 1st, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

hi mama, i just replied to your other post too, but i want to make sure we're clear on his weight gain. how old is he now? what days were these weights taken? and were they all on the same scale, naked?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumofthree123 View Post
    birth weight 3kg680
    he went down to 3kg290
    he's currently at 3kg460
    because it is completely normal for a baby to lose weight after birth, and the last weight you show is actually going back up.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

he's 12 days old. he was weighed 2 days ago and lost some weighing 3390 from the same scale naked