Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF Autistic/Language Disordered 24m old- advice wanted

Smile BF Autistic/Language Disordered 24m old- advice wanted

Has anyone have experience of BF a Autistic Child or one with a little to no receptive language. My Son is 24m and will constantly scream for BF tug pinch and pull and will not give up with any amount of distraction due to his Language and ASD he is very controlling and will not give up, so traditional weaning techniques don't work.

I think it is more of a sensory/comfort need for him now as 85% of the time he is chewing whilst climbing and playing on me - when he actually wants a feed he is on and off pretty quick, he would be on the breast 24hrs but is bad especially from 5.30am -12 noon constantly crying pulling, pushing me until I give in, he is a different easier child when he is around others and I am not there.

This is a big problem now as this constant screaming and demands is making my 3yr old very angry and she has starting to push and pull her brother and I can't cope with being chewed/pinched/pulled/climbed on or screamed at for much longer.

I can however find no advice for weaning/stopping behavior in Special needs children. I have tried using Visual timer but his receptive language is poor so don't know if he gets it.

Any advice will be most welcome -

Default Re: BF Autistic/Language Disordered 24m old- advice wanted

Mama!

Have you seen this thread for moms with kiddoes on the spectrum? http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...00#post1282700

I'll nudge a few of the other mamas to see what experience they have to offer. My DS1 has sensory processing disorder. While he has exhibited oral hyposensitivity, it is more in terms of tastes and textures of foods, not so much with seeking oral stimulation through chewing, biting, etc. other items.

Since you said that you feel that your DS is nursing more for sensory/comfort needs, will he respond to another lovey if slowly introduced? Is he receiving any OT and if so, have they made any suggestions?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Hi, this is a difficult one! My ASD son wasnrt nursed cause he was born with a complete unilateral cleft lip and palate, so I pumped for him for 11 months. BUt I do understand how difficult it is to have a child on the spectrum who has special needs....I am not too sure how to change his behavior. DO you have any speicalists coming in the house you can ask for ideas? Does he recieve any services at all?

I would hate to take such a harsh way to wean, but you might just have to deny when yo arent feeling like nursing him. Maybe limit it to 2 or 3 a day and that is all. He will get into the new routine, it wll be hard at first I am sure.

please let us know how you are doing!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My son has super high oral stim needs. At that age he was weaned (his sister is just 17 months younger but he was still all over me all day and night. And taking as many bottles a day as I would let him have. In fact all his liquids came from bottles. It has been a long hard slog to get him to not dehydrate when we took bottles away but at 4.5 he is down to about 2 a day.

I agree with JoEllen that your OT should be able to help (if you don't have one you really need one). But in general I have found that you cannot take away something that meets a sensory need without replaceing the need. You are going to be playing scientist/detective working out what needs are being met and finding socially acceptible /non-painful ways to meet it. Based on what you have described I am hearing nutrative sucking, non-nutrative sucking, biting/chewing and tactile. I hate saying this but you might need to wean to a bottle (try a camelback water bottle first as the can suck/bite/chew on that. Also a baby arc grabber for a chewie. Burrito rolling periodically through the day (especially if you can burrito roll or swaddle for nursing) might help too.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Hi mama

My first son (who is 4 yrs old) is speech delayed and has ASD as well. Is he receiving any speech or OT services right now?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Hi, we are paying for private OT and Speech Theapy as we have found the service round here a bit a scarce and under funded, His OT is specially trained in SPD and sensory integration.

Its been hard as BF has given me affection and chance for a cuddle when i would otherwise be pushed away. My Son would not cope with Weaning overnight and has food issues Ie if he does not get food he/wants/likes he will not eat no matter how long you starve him, he is very rigid and very inflexible all traits of his probable ASD I am led to believe.

He refused all Bottles as a baby but I may be able to re-introduce them now, he has cows milk choc milkshake in one cup with a straw but refuses to drink from any other cup so it will be a long shot but I am happy to try even if it takes 8 months.

He has chewed through two washing machine rubber seals and likes chewing the handle bars of my DD'S scooter so need to look for something with that texture all the baby toys are a bit harder than this so they have never interested him.

He is a mix of hyper and Hypo sensitive so over and under responsive so his sensory diet is a mix of deep pressure, spinning and other heavy pushing activity's combined with some activitys that are designed to calm over sensitivities such as pressure around the jaw before attempting to wash face.

I am seeing his OT today the problem with a lot of the professionals in this area is there is little to no knowledge of extended breast feeding and most people appear to be in shock that he is still feeding let alone being able to give me any weaning advice.

Thanks so much for the link I will look at that now.

I understand what you are saying about professionals not having enough knowledge about breastfeeding and how to handle this.

What are your weaning goals, mama? Are you wishing to be done entirely or are you looking to strike more of a balance so that it is not so frequent?

I mentioned previously about maybe introducing a new lovey.. I am wondering if that might help your DS when he is wanting to nurse non-stop for comfort/sensory stimulation? Could the OT make some suggestions in regards to the weaning from this perspective?

Good luck today!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

I just have to say wow. I am so totally impressed with the strength of character I see in all you ladies. Your babies are so blessed to have you.

My DS like rubbery stuff too. Try the Baby Arc Grabber or just some aquarium tubing.

I find this site really useful. Here are a few highly recommended oral sensory things and more on pintrest.
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; September 1st, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I gave a sensory OT your question, this is her reply

this sounds very much like the little one is self-regulating via oral sensory and also seeking proprioception. In order to wean, there will need to be a replacement with oral sensory tools and also really increase the amount of tactile, proprioceptive, and vestibular input in his day in order to help with self-regulation.
    I don't know how comfortable you are with sensory language yet but if you aren't sure about terms like proprioception and vestibular input this site (while ugly) has some good info. If you want more ideas for things to include in sensory diet let me know. I will also let you know if anyone else in one of the communities I am in has had the same or similar issues.

s mama. I know this is incredibly hard.

Family beds are awesome