Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: coconut oil?

Default coconut oil?

Has anyone heard of using coconut oil for sore nipples? Someone told me it was good because of anti-fungal properties.

Default Re: coconut oil?

yes i have heard of it, an ibclc i know and trust suggests it and has seen some good results-but as far as i know, reports if it's effectiveness are entirly anecdotal. I suggest you to get a pure, organic brand.

Of couse figuring out the source of the soreness if possible and fixing or treating that is very important as well. For example, if the issue is a shallow latch, coconut oil may help with healing or as a thrush preventative, but its use will not fix the shallow latch.

I absolutely agree with LLLMeg.

As with lanolin ointment, the same goes for coconut oil- it can provide a soothing barrier, but it is not going to correct the root cause of the nipple soreness. A cheaper alternative that will also be soothing for your nipples is your own breastmilk, as it has antibacterial properties that can help promote healing. Express a bit and allow your nipples to air dry after feeding or pumping. Changing damp nursing pads frequently will also help to prevent the growth of yeast and/or bacteria.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

i agree with PPs, but have found coconut oil to be a great skin healer. it's the only diaper "cream" we've ever used on DS and it really works & smells great.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

as a side note, i just started cooking with it. its in a recipe for homemade energy bars i just started making. on my counter in the air conditioned kitchen it was a 'solid'-looked like Crisco- and in the pantry that abuts the steaming hot garage it turned into an oil. My friend told me either is fine for cooking. same for using on skin/nipples?
    i'll have to try it for diaper cream. I have been using lanolin.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    as a side note, i just started cooking with it. its in a recipe for homemade energy bars i just started making. on my counter in the air conditioned kitchen it was a 'solid'-looked like Crisco- and in the pantry that abuts the steaming hot garage it turned into an oil. My friend told me either is fine for cooking. same for using on skin/nipples?
    i'll have to try it for diaper cream. I have been using lanolin.
    You mean the consistency? It changes with heat, so if it's solid and you put a dab on your nipples it'll 'melt' so you can spread it.
    I too use it for everything: face scrub (mixed with baking soda), moisturizer, lip balm/gloss, nipple soother, cooking...I've even mixed it into coffee in order to up my intake of healthy fats!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

it's a good oil to take camping/hiking because it's generally a solid at room temp - less spillage.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.