Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Goats Rue

Default Goats Rue

Hi there- I just bought a bottle of Goats Rue capsules in hopes of increasing milk supply. Didn't know if I should be taking more than the bottle prescribed or if one 330 mg capsule 3x daily will help. Anyone have experience with goats rue increasing milk supply?

Thanks!

Default Re: Goats Rue

I have a mom who took it, and she used it according to Kellymom. It helped her.

Oddly, I feel like it decreases my supply. It always rebounded, but it was frustrating. So I'd work up to it slowly myself.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I have a mom who took it, and she used it according to Kellymom. It helped her.

Oddly, I feel like it decreases my supply. It always rebounded, but it was frustrating. So I'd work up to it slowly myself.
    Interesting. Were there any herbs that you had success with?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Well, I've been doing the goat's rue for about a week and the big change I've noticed is that my letdowns are more painful. Does this mean they are "bigger" as in containmore milk?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    Interesting. Were there any herbs that you had success with?
    Fenugreek. Oatmeal. Blessed thistle. Marshmallow.

Might mean your letdown is stronger, which can correspond to more milk. But the best and only way to measure output....how does your baby look? Normal wets and poops and decent weight gain and a happy baby indicate normal supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

She is a slow gainer. I have another weight check tomorrow but, last time, she had only gained 3oz in 10 days and that was WITH supplementing 2oz per day. She poops every other day but, it is a blowout so, I'm ok with output. Just can't seem to EBF no matter what I do. I have had 2 nurse-ins, take domperidone, goats rue, fenugreek, blessed thistle, had a tongue tie clipped and try to pump once a day as well. She still isn't gaining enough from just me. She looks healthy though and seems pretty content (for a 9 week old)