Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still having problems with cracks and soreness!

Default Re: Still having problems with cracks and soreness!

I visited with an IBCLC nurse and found a few helpful suggestions. She had a "My Brest Friend" pillow that I really liked, so I just ordered one today. I still have to add a pillow under his head, but I liked the way he didn't roll forward towards me the way he does with a Boppy. Also, she suggested a steroid/antifungal cream (nystatin/triamcinolone) for healing cracks (she didn't think the nipples were infected and suspected that overuse of the APNO may have been causing irritation). So I have been using that during the night; you do have to rinse it off, and during the day using coconut oil to keep nipples moist (drying them increases the pain when the dry skin deforms when he first latches on).

I do experience vasospasms that are also painful. The IBCLC nurse suggested Vitamin B6, as some mothers find relief. I also take ibuprofen if it's hurting bad. I notice them happening more after a painful feed, less with feeds where there's a good latch.

Also, I've been working on propping him with lots of pillows. He forms a good latch most of the time. Sometimes I still experience him pinching or smashing the nipple, always on the right (today was a bad day for this, but yesterday was perfect). I don't think this is due to a forceful letdown, as this breast produces less than the L and I don't hear him gulping when he smashes the nipple. He can make a good latch and have a good feed if he wants. I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, changes this. So far, no luck, just trying to make the best of it and hang in there. I'm starting to feel more hopeful about breastfeeding.
    Last edited by @llli*andie613; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

Yay! It sounds like you got some great ideas from the LC. I hope you can heal up those cracks and improve your latch situation.

As far as the latch, I get it. My little girl was tongue tied at birth. We clipped the tongue tie, but I have struggled to get her latch to where it should be. My nipples are still pinched and creased after a lot of feedings. If I use a lot of pillows (I love my MBF pillow, hope you will too!), that really helps, but I get lazy, an then it's bad again.

But what I know this time that I didn't know with my first is that the latch will naturally improve as baby gets older and her mouth gets bigger. If I can get it to a place where it's tolerable and not causing my nipple trauma (no cracks, etc.), it will only get better from there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks, JoMo. I still struggle with the latch. Today he was being fussy, so I pumped twice and he got the bottle from grandma. Hopefully tonight's feedings will be better. Can't wait for his mouth to get bigger, but based on what you said it should improve.

Any other suggestions for good nipple ointments? The coconut oil is ok, but goes on very thin, so sometimes the nipples still get dry and stick to the nursing pads. Also not sure if it does much to heal the cracks. I ordered some Motherlove today, as I'd read several good reviews about it healing cracks and being comfortable, so I'll try that when it comes in the mail.