Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mo nursing and sleep changes

Unhappy 4 mo nursing and sleep changes

Hello mommas!

My DD is almost 5 mo now and there have been some changes that are starting to make me doubt BF (which I don't wanna do because I am enjoying it so much!!). Lately instead of feeding every 3 hours, she is back to every 2 hours. Sometimes she is just super fussy at the breast until the let down, and I have an OALD. Her wet diapers are probably around 6/day and she has several poopy diapers a day. She will only take an hour or so nap if I am laying next to her which is hard to do when I want to get things done around the house. She also HAS to be swaddled to get her to sleep, which brings me to my next problem

At night, her last feeding is usually around 8 or 9. Typically, she won't wake up until 3 am for her next feeding and then again at 6 or 7 am. The last two nights she has been up every 2-3 hours. I have noticed that she is always out of her swaddle when I pick her up. She is a big spit up baby, sometimes really fussy and then spits up and is fine. Is all this change normal for most EBF babies at this age? I know my supply is fine because some days I am too full and engorged all day long, which is really frustrating. Any advice would be great!!! Thank you ladies so much!!!

Default Re: 4 mo nursing and sleep changes

I can totally empathize. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but that sure does sound familiar!

Change is always normal. Right when things get smooth and routine, BAM, baby changes everything up. Is your lo going through a new milestone such as rolling or crawling? My son would practice crawling while sleeping. Also he really started to dislike swaddling and blankets at that age. He'd kick them off until he woke up. Teething perhaps? As for the oversupply, have you tried blockfeeding? Feeding baby on just one side until completely empty? Ice packs on my breasts in between feedings helped me a lot.

Yep, totally normal. In fact, around 4 months old with both of my babies, I've noticed their sleep always changed. They would wake up more frequently. I guess at that age is when babies start teething (possibly), working on developmental milestones, and noticing the world around them more
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and