Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old sleeping 830p to 7a

Default 4 month old sleeping 830p to 7a

I am stressing!! I have a 4 month old son who is such a good baby! He has been sleeping trough the night since 8weeks I got the iud 6 wk pp I never had issues nursing! I nursed my 3yr old up to 1 with nooo issues a few days ago I thought I got myperiod but it only lasted 2 days. I am quite suprised as I didn't get mine with my 2nd child till I was done nursing! I feel like my supply has gone down since he is sleeping 10+ hrs at night I drink mothers tea and lots of water.. should I start pumping again aropund 3 and the at 5 am??
    Daddy and Mommy are highschool sweethearts!
    08.10.03<3

Young Mommy of 2!
    Cassidy Ann
    32w 4.9lbs 18in
    NICU for 1 and 1/2 months

Damien Joseph
    38w 7.1lbs 19in
    Came home in 2 days!
    and LOVING IT!

Default Re: 4 month old sleeping 830p to 7a

I am not sure how the IUD might be affecting your milk supply does it release any hormones? If it does that could be part of the problem. But a long sleep stretch would also explain getting your period back sooner than typical and also could absolutely Cause low milk supply how frequently is your baby nursing the rest of the time? is your baby's weight gain appropriate? Is baby sleeping in a different room, using a pacifier at night, being swaddled at night? These practices can possibly lead to unnaturally long sleep stretches. So if you're doing any of those you could consider stopping that and see if baby wakes more often naturally on his own. Otherwise I would suggest it would be easier to simply go to baby pick baby up and see if baby would nurse during the night rather than dragging out the pump and pumping many babies cat and will nurse when very sleepy or in their sleep and go right back to sleep after nursing. even if you had to wake baby they probably would nurse and go right back to sleep. Also in many cases moms become concerned that they have low milk supply when there really is no problem however because you have the long sleep stretch I would pay attention to that aspect and also of course possibly the birth-control choice depending on what you are using.

with LLLMeg. Your period is back because either a) your baby is sleeping so long (>6 hours without nursing allows prolactin levels to drop so temporarily low that estrogen levels rise high enough to provoke a menstrual cycle) or b) the IUD has hormones in it that are making you have either true periods or "breakthrough bleeding" (short periods of spotting in between periods of more normal length).

Whether or not this is a real problem or just an inconvenience and a surprise depends on how your baby is behaving. Does he seem satisfied after nursing? Is he producing adequate wet and poopy diapers? Is he continuing to grow normally? (Please note that around 4-6 months or thereafter many babies drop some percentiles as they devote increasing amounts of calories to motion instead of lacking them on as fat.)

LLLMeg gave some excellent suggestions, especially about waking baby to nurse. It's much easier than pumping!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He does very well during the day eats every 2.5 to 3 hr! Dr said he looks excellent great weight gain. he has great poo and pees and overall is very good baby!! no swaddling no paci at nights I mentioned the iud because apparently most woman do not get their period while they have the iud so I thought with me nursing and having the iud i wouldn't be getting for a while! thanks for the suggestions! I will try waking him up to nurse during the night.. what times do you think would be good? i think i read you shouldn't go more then 9 hrs during the night...
    Last edited by @llli*mommy.times.3; August 29th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Daddy and Mommy are highschool sweethearts!
    08.10.03<3

Young Mommy of 2!
    Cassidy Ann
    32w 4.9lbs 18in
    NICU for 1 and 1/2 months

Damien Joseph
    38w 7.1lbs 19in
    Came home in 2 days!
    and LOVING IT!

I won't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I am doing! My 3 mo. old STTN 7-9 hours and has been for over a month. We did absolutely nothing to cause or even encourage this. We nurse on demand, she sleeps in a co-sleeper right next to me without being swaddled or given a paci, etc. We respond to her immediately if she is even remotely upset. She nurses or takes a bottle of ebm 7-8 times each day. She is gloriously healthy, poos and pees plenty, and is growing well.

With all that in mind, I see no reason to wake a healthy sleeping baby just so I don't get my period back! KWIM? Also, I would not be at all surprised if this does not last and she starts night waking again at some point, which is fine with me.

I should say, however, that I am not on any form of birth control (unless you count DH's vasectomy )

One thing you could do if you don't want to wake her, is to pump at night before you go to bed if you stay up later than her. I was doing this for a while - she'd go to bed around 9:30 and I'd pump at 11:30 or whatever before going to bed.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

OK, well if babies weight gain is good and output is good, and YOU do not feel uncomfortably full overnight, you may need to do nothing at all. If you had asked when baby was 2 months old, I would have said, definitely, 10 hours is way too long a sleep stretch. At four months, it's more individual. Yes, it may lower milk production-but maybe you had oversupply in the first place. On the other hand, on the occasions I talk to a mom who really does have low milk supply anytime prior to bbby turning a year, and the issue is not birth control, it is almost always due at least in part to a long sleep stretch.

So baby sleeps 10 hours at night without nursing, so during the 14 other hours, is baby nursing at least 7 or 8 times total? Or more like 5 times? Not that nursing frequency is an exact science-it's not-but I would suggest that 6 or under nursing times total per day for a 4 month old in general would worry me. And if you are at work and baby is getting any bottles during the day, that would be even more concerning. Since your instincts are causing you to think about this, I would suggest, trust your instincts.

As far as when to nurse baby at night, I would suggest, since there is no immediate cause to think your supply is in peril, simply nursing baby (or offering) at a time you are still awake, or if/when you wake naturally to use the bathroom, rather than setting the alarm for some arbitrary time.

You don’t mention if baby sleeps in your room. Co-sleeping (baby in the same room) allows a breastfeeding mom and baby to sense and be in tune with each other overnight. It's even suggested as an SIDS risk reducing practice up to age one year. Many people think co-sleeping always means baby in the same bed, but bed sharing, while fine if it can be done safely, is not needed if that is something you are not comfortable with. Just sleeping in the same room allows both mom and baby to hear, smell and sense each other’s presence during sleep, which is beneficial for a few reasons.

As far as bleeding with an iud, I would suggest talk to your doctor if that is something that is not supposed to happen.

Hi,

I was reading this thread and it kind of got me worried. My baby has been sleeping about 10 hours a night with no night nursing since roughly 11wks. she is 4mo. now, 13lbs., lots of wet diapers and a least 1 poop a day. She is generally pretty content we are still BF. I do pump after she goes to bed around 11p or 12a... Should I be concerned?

As long as they're gaining the right amount of weight, I wouldn't worry about sleeping long stretches. If you are feeling physically uncomfortable, I wouldn't bother with the pumping, just wake baby up and feed him/her.

Enjoy it while you can - you never know, baby may start waking up more frequently next week.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.