Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What if?

Default What if?

I just went back to work as a high school teacher (my son is 6mo) and discovered during our review of emergency procedures that California teachers are emergency workers in disasters such as a major earthquake, required to stay on site for up to 72 hours. I had never heard this in my many prior years teaching, and now I can't stop thinking about it. HR made it very clear that there were no exceptions for new moms, and also that they would likely not be able to allow my son onto campus if his care provider were able to get him to me. I can't imagine not being able to see him for 3 days following a major trauma, not to mention the complications with nursing that this would raise. I know it's not a huge likelihood, and I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for here, but I just can't get it off my mind. Maybe ways to deal logistically/emotionally for anyone else who is in this situation? Thanks.

Default Re: What if?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Have a freezer stash at your home. If you can't get home, your care giver should be able to get your son to your home to get your milk. Rest assured that if something terrible were to happen that you have a back up plan.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

What does the union say about it? Any medical exceptions?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I would prepare for the worst by having a freezer stash (or formula) available just in case you two couldn't be together . This not a bad idea regardless of your work situation since in a major crisis you may not have safe transportation to reach each other. I saved a sample can of formula for this reason in our family's earthquake kit.
    As far as your job requirements, I doubt that if such a tragedy were to occur that anyone would hold you to the rules. They may require teachers to stay with the students until all parents arrive, but who exactly would be guarding the school to keep your baby out? I hope your fellow coworkers would express more empathy than that in the face of a disaster.