Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis while EPing

Default Mastitis while EPing

Hey all..

I had introduced myself a while back and while nothing much has changed (other than I finally did manage to produce milk LOL), I am now faced with a dilemma.

A few days ago while pumping, I noticed a sharp pain on my left nipple and upon closer inspection I saw that the skin had cracked but no bleeding. I am as of right now pumping ~every 3-4 hours so of course the crack has no time to heal, really. Today, the dreaded mastitis pain began along with a big hot spot on the outer side of my left breast and from what I can find on the web pumping is the worst I can do to relieve it. Well, DS still won't feed directly from me so the pump is really all I have - any tips on how to make sure this doesn't get more serious?

I'm increasing my fluid intake and do a warm compress everytime before I start and I'm trying to be very strict about really pumping every 3 hours. The crack is still open, though - do I even have a chance avoiding a serious infection?

Thanks!

Default Re: Mastitis while EPing

This was my introduction, not sure why I was able to use a different name this time

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ello-and-S.O.S.

greetings Valentine!
    I am sorry you are dealing with mastitis/sore nipple/achy breast.
    It sounds like you are trying all the right techniques to combat the mastitis and even though it hurts like crazy to express the sore breast/nipple
    you know that it is vital to keep the affected side comfortably soft and emptied.
    My sister also exclusively pumped and she ended each pumping session by hand expressing both breasts to reach the ducts the pump could not reach.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Mama!

-Keep pumping frequently. Do you also hand-express? Doing so can help you to further empty your breasts. This video from Stanford University is a very good demo of hand-expression in conjunction with pumping.
    -Are you wearing a tight bra or one with an underwire? Try to avoid those if so.
    -You can express a bit of your milk onto your nipple after each pumping session and allow them to air dry to facilitate healing. If you wear nursing pads, be sure to change them frequently. Warm, moist environments are good for growing bacteria!
    -Do you feel plugged ducts? Continue with massage and warm compresses. You can also use the end of an electric toothbrush where you feel a knot to help break it up.

If you feel that the pain has worsened or persists, or you feel feverish or see increased redness, it would be a good idea to contact your healthcare provider for further treatment.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Thank you both! I am going to try hand expression today, thanks so much for the link! I remember trying it years ago with DD but w/o any luck but maybe things have changed or I just didn't do it the right way. Thanks again!

I never got the hang of it with my first, but did when EPing for #2. That video really helped me out- turns out I had been taught incorrectly before!

I hope you're feeling better. KUP mama!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!