Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eliminating pumping

Question Eliminating pumping

I love breast feeding my soon to be 8 month old, but I don't really enjoy pumping. I'm committed to BF through 1 yr, but I'm hoping to eventually eliminate the pumping and just BF in he morning and at night. Have any of you done this? Is is possible or will I lose my supply?

Default Re: Eliminating pumping

Um, are you at work during those times? How would you feed between nursings?

It's honestly still too early to cut pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh yes, I should have been more clear. When I am at work, I pump twice a day which gives me 4 - 6 oz total a day which Dad feeds to LO along with bottles of formula while I'm at work. I would continue pumping up to her 1st birthday, but I'm hoping to not have to keep doing that once she turns one, but I still want enough milk supply to enjoy breast feeding her in the morning and at night once she's turned one and is getting more solids and cows milk. I just didn't know whether I would lose my supply all together if I only did mornign adn night feedings.

Ok. At 12 months, most moms find pump weaning and nursing on demand is completely adequate.

Notice I said on demand. Because that is key. Twice a day isn't enough.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

No, not twice a day. How we do it now is that I feed on demand from when I get home (around 5 or 6) and 2 or more times overnight and once or twice before leaving for work. I hope to continue that pattern but then just not have to pump at work.

I think what the PP is trying to say is that at 8 months there's still just too much risk of loosing a significant fraction of your supply if you wean from the daytime pumping. Obviously those daytime sessions are super-annoying and aren't yielding a ton of milk- but the key issue here is that your baby is only 8 months old , and you want to aim to maximize her breastmilk intake until 12 months. At that point, you've done your due diligence, in terms of providing the ideal nutrition for your baby's development, and you can move to supplementing with solids and cow's milk, knowing that you protected your supply as much as possible during your LO's first 12 months.

Pumping sucks- ha ha.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies for the advice. I will definitely keep up the pumping and try not to stress that I'm only producing 4 - 5 oz a day that way. At least my LO will be able to have one bottle of breast milk amid the bottles of formula while I'm at work. Now if only I can get her to stop trying out all those new teeth on me during the night!

with the PPs. Pump weaning can be very freeing, and at a year, you should be able to keep up your supply if you nurse on demand evenings/weekends.

Biting is no fun! Every time the baby bites, unlatch and stop nursing immediately. Take a few minutes off before latching on again. You can also say "No biting." It can be hard for a few days, but usually babies learn pretty fast on this plan.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.