Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush and being immune compromised. Should I give vitamins?

Default Thrush and being immune compromised. Should I give vitamins?

1 yr old has thrush and I've been trying to treat with with Grapefruit Seed Extract for last 2 days. Haven't seen much change in her mouth.

Should I be giving her vitamins now?

I wish I could ask my doc about some of my concerns but I find she's not as informed as she should be. So tough to find a good doctor.

Default Re: Thrush and being immune compromised. Should I give vitam

What vitamins do you mean?

The kellymom.com site has good thrush information IMO and I believe there is some information here on the forum in the FAQ. Some ideas to look for are Dr. Jack Newman's Candida Protocol, APNO (all purpose nipple ointment), and Gentian Violet.

If your nursling has thrush, then you probably do too but may be asymptomatic. Are you sure it is thrush?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

As in a multi-vitamin. I'm sure it's thrush since she has white patches on the inside of her cheek. Doc also confirmed it. I don't have any symptoms but I too have been applying the Grapefuit Seed Extract. Thanks

You're welcome and let us know if you try those resources and can't solve the issue!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

You can give a multivitamin if you want, but I wouldn't expect it to help with thrush. Is your baby immune compromised due to some kind of illness? Are you? Were you recently on antibiotics? That would definitely make thrush more likely, but keep in mind, perfectly healthy mamas and babies also get thrush, so I wouldn't read anything into it.

I recently followed the GSE thrush protocol and it did clear up. I saw a huge improvement by days 3 and 4.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We are part of the healthy group. Baby hasn't even gotten a cold all year. Super healthy. Thrush was our first visit for meds. How much did you use GSE, Joe.s. mom in those 3-4 days?

I applied a dilute solution (15 drops/oz of distilled water) to my nipples after every feeding (well, realistically, every time I thought of it, but at least 8X per day). I also put it in my baby's mouth less, but pretty frequently (I would have treated her more if she had any symptoms, but she was asymptomatic so it was easier to forget). I also gave both of us probiotics.

Here's the link I followed - http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

In our case I don't have symptoms but girl has pearly patches inside her cheeks and tongue. Since she's one it's tough to get the q-tip in her mouth. I feel so wiped out over this thrush thing, especially today when her appetite for food hasn't been so great. Overall she doesn't seem bothered by it. Jack Newman says not to treat if it doesn't seem to bother, but can it get worse?

If it's not bothering her, and it's not bothering you, maybe just treat with probiotics? You could give her probiotic powder (it doesn't taste bad and you can mix it with applesauce or yogurt) or even just lots of really good yogurt?

ETA: Yes, it can get worse. But most of the time, if your immune system is good, it shouldn't. Probiotics can't hurt and really might help. They're really mild, you really can never have too many probiotics, so it's an easy way to go.

You can call me JoMo!

I'm still confused why you state "immune compromised." is there something I'm missing? It may help with the advice.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start