Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 month old: Number of milk feeds per day.

Default Re: 8 month old: Number of milk feeds per day.

The simple fact is no matter where you live the vast majority of so-called experts know– how can I put this politely – not quite as much about breast feeding, Breast milk, nutrition or normal infant needs and behavior as they should.
    Also much of the advice in baby care manuals is supposed to be used interchangeably between formula and breast fed babies which of course it cannot be as the two things are very different. I'm not even sure formula fed babies should be fed formula that infrequently prior to a year or prior to the point that they are eating enough solids to get enough nutritionally.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 29th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

simplyvanilla, this link from IBCLC Kelly Bonyata might be of interest to you:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...toddler-foods/

The benchmarks she includes are for babies > 12 months. While that's a few months away, the trajectory of solids feeds reveals just how vital breastmilk is beyond the first year of life for many babies. Granted, all children are unique, and some healthy babies will self-select a more solids-heavy diet by 12 months than these figures suggest. A hands-off approach to complementary feeds will allow your baby to eat extra nutrients as needed without making food an "issue".

PS. At 10 months, my son still nurses 10+ times/day (and night). He loves complementary foods, but no matter when or in what format solids are offered, he makes sure he has room for milk. Breastmilk easily accounts for 90%+ of his nutrition right now.

Hello,
    My lo is just over 7 months. He is eating 3 meals a day (only because he seems to want to and likes food, not because I think he "should be").
    I just bf for his first feed of the day (around 6-7am) and then at around 9-10am I bf again and then offer him food, then I usually don't feed again (unless he seems like he wants some... Guess its a on demand thing) until lunch time... Bf first and then offer him the solids... He will have one more bf in the afternoon and then at dinner time (usually between 5-6) I bf and then offer the solids.
    Then he usually feeds between 2-4 times over night. Probably mostly 3 times. During the day I usually stick to this schedule but if he seems hungry at any time I will offer him the breast.
    I guess the rule of thumb is to always bf first before solids. And between the solid meals they still should be having a bf. For instance- bf and then solid breakfast, just bf, then bf and solid lunch, then just bf, then bf and dinner... Then the night time feeds.
    Hope that makes sense!

Also I'd add... If your baby doesn't seem to like/want the solids that's totally ok! There's no need for your baby to be eating large amounts of solids at this age! It's good to just offer it, but bf should still be the main source of nutrition at this stage.

My 8 month old feeds 5 times per day (7AM, 11AM, 3PM, 7PM & a dream feed at 10PM/11PM). Occasionally, there is a middle of the night feeding. This is the schedule she set up for herself around 5 months. We do baby led weaning so she isn't having a ton of solids yet (we offer her lots but not a lot makes it to her belly). She is in the 97% for height & weight. If she seems satisfied and is healthy, I don't see any reason to worry about it.

I should mention that I am not interested in breast feeding longer than 18 months so if you are interested in breast feeding longer, than maybe others have better advice.

Thank you for all the advice! Baby's granny is offering more bottle feeds (expressed milk) again, and most of the time she will drink some if not all thereof. I do find though that if I offer her the breast closer to 3 hours after her previous feed during the day she refuses to drink. She has however started asking for a 1am night-time feed again. Am worrying less about the solids now! As long as she tries some I'm focusing on the milk again. She is very happy and healthy and growing well! Haven't weighed her in a while, but at 6 months she already weighed 8.5 kg. Has grown quite a bit since then!

I have another question though: Is it normal for a baby who used to drink for 30-40min at a feeding to now only drink 10 or 15 min? She is satisfied after drinking and starts to chat. No crying or fussing...

Definitely normal. Older babies often become very quick, very efficient feeders. And the world is so interesting to them that they usually don't want quite as much comfort sucking at the end of a nursing session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"