Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clicking noise during feeding?

Default Clicking noise during feeding?

Hi there, my LO (6 wks) used to have a great latch and lately now makes a clicking noise while feeding. I think the sound is her losing suction and reattaching. When I'm in the side-lying position, this doesn't happen. Anyone have any insight? Should I not worry? She's gaining well and I burp her after every feeding. Also, after a feeding, she's been sneezing.. is this reflux? thanks for all your help, this forum's been great!

Default Re: Clicking noise during feeding?

Do you have any pain when nursing, or before or after? I'm not sure if I would worry much if baby is gaining and nursing is going well. But if things are getting uncomfortable, I think clicking can be related to thrush or oversupply. This might be helpful.

Also, my son was a major sneezer as a newborn and outgrew it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Clicking is usually the sound of baby breaking suction. Often babies do this to cope with a fast letdown, which would explain why your baby doesn't do it when you nurse lying down. Reclined positions often slow the flow of milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Clicking is usually the sound of baby breaking suction. Often babies do this to cope with a fast letdown, which would explain why your baby doesn't do it when you nurse lying down. Reclined positions often slow the flow of milk.

Here are some more tips from KellyMom that you can try and see if they help: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Its also worth remembering that if its not affecting your latch (causing pain, damage, etc), then its not something to be worried about.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])