Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will infrequently sleeping thru the night reduce supply?

Default Will infrequently sleeping thru the night reduce supply?

My son is currently 5 weeks old. I am nursing on demand and pumping 1x per day (in AM) for freezer stash and for the occasional bottle.

The last few nights my little guy slept 6-7 hours and I woke up so engorged! But the next night he woke 2 times and nursed.

Should I be pumping during these long night stretches? I don't want my supply to dwindle especially if his sleep habits are still changing.

Also, if my husband gives him a small bottle some nights (like 1-2oz, just enough to get him used to bottle, not a full feeding) should I be pumping even during these small feedings?

I feel like my supply is good...not sure how I would even tell if it started to drop...?

Thanks mamas

Default Re: Will infrequently sleeping thru the night reduce supply?

most likely, your supply isn't fully in yet (around 6 weeks), and won't fully regulate until 3-4 months. so what you do now does have long-term effects. if you are nursing on demand around the clock, then baby sleeping 6-7 hours at once is ok. you might want to pump to relieve engorgement, and also know that he won't sleep like that very long/often but go wtih your gut and use your judgment. you don't want to become so engorged you risk plugs or mastitis, but sleep is very important to a healthy mama, too.

there is really no reason to give a bottle to "get him used" to a bottle; if and when your baby needs a bottle, you can address that. lots of families like to have dad give a bottle for bonding, though this is also not necessary - there are lots of ways dads can bond besides bottles! the concern is that, particularly before 6 weeks, babies can develop a flow preference very quickly and without warning, and dealing with that can be a huge task. not every baby will have this problem, but it's a risk. same thing with the pumping: you're establishing long-term supply now, so if you're always producing more than what your baby needs in a day (full nursing + pumping for stash) then you're probably ok skipping pumping when baby gets 1-2 oz at night. but each mama's supply is going to be a little different, and some people are much more sensitive to the supply/demand equation than others, and some peoples' supplies are more fragile or robust.

around 3-4 months when your supply regulates, here are some things that do NOT indicate a low supply: not feeling full or engorged anymore; not leaking anymore; not feeling letdown; not pumping a ton (avg in addition to nursing is 1-2 oz for a pump; replacement pump 3-4 oz). mommal has a full list, maybe she'll come by and post it. as long as you continue to nurse on demand, and you don't start a hormonal contraceptive and aren't pregnant, you will continue to have enough milk.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks Auderey!

Well, I am going back to work on 9/17 which is why I was trying with the bottle...I read that it should be introduced after 4 weeks but before 6 weeks. Since he'll need to have a bottle 5 days a week when I return to work I just assumed I should see how he would respond to it in small increments. So far he takes the bottle fine, but happily prefers the breast.

Thanks for the advice on supply--I AM nursing on demand and the only times I feel engorged is when he has these long stretches (he has slept this way almost 4 nights in a row now) but when he does wake up around 5am he drains both breasts.

I guess I will need to just see how my supply regulates, like you said...I just don't want to do anything that has the potential to reduce my supply, especially once I return to work. As a first-time mom I'm very worried about this!

Thank you again for your advice

just keep doing what you're doing, then!

if you want you can drop the bottles for the next 3 weeks, since now you know he'll take one. if you want to save the work on bottles & pumping. you really only NEED enough milk for the first day, since you'll be pumping to replace while you're at work, but i know it can be psychological reassuring to have a stash. but that milk only stays good for a few months in the freezer, and fresher is better for baby, so try not to go overboard! i ended up donating about 500 oz, which was great, but was also a lot of pumping time i could've skipped.

but you can keep going with it, too, since it sounds like it's going ok.

keep us posted!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.