Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 month old + nipple pain...Is it Yeast?

Default 14 month old + nipple pain...Is it Yeast?

Hi,

Still nursing my DS who will soon be 14 months ...he is an avid nurser about 2-6 times a day depending how many hours I'm home. He got his teeth at around 8 months and Thank the Lord never bites...but this week my left nipple has become very sensitive. I have not gotten my AF back yet so maybe I will soon? The reason I think it may be yeast is because my DS got a really nasty diaper rash a few days ago that was getting worse till I started treating with anti-fungal creams (lotrimin and tea tree oil) and today my right nipple hurts too (ONLY the nipple/areola)...Also, DS doesnt seem to have signs o thrush in his mouth...So how do I know if its yeast? If it is, will treating the diaper rash be enough or do I need to treat my nipples too?

Please help! The pain is making me want to nurse less and somehow my son seems to want to nurse a lot more often!!!!

Default Re: 14 month old + nipple pain...Is it Yeast?

when I hear hoof beats I think horses, Thrush is as common as athletes foot. It is often the cause for nipple pain.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Sometimes thrush doesn't always appear in places we would think it would be. It could be thrush. However when my son was nursing at 14 mo his latch changed and it was hard to breastfeed him on my right side w/out being uncomfortable. Maybe try a different position and see if that helps the pain?
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

PPP is here...

Could be several things. But have you taken a pregnancy test? That's the source of my current, excruciating nipple pain. At least rule it out.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Yep, I'd think AF, ovulation, pregnancy, teething, or thrush. I did get thrush when Joe was about that age, and it took me forever to figure out what it was, because I thought we were past all that. But sure enough, it was yeast and responded quickly to treatment.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Just the period...not pregnant, no thrush...now that period is tapering off the pain is totally gone...it was just a couple days before and during but everything is back to normal. LO was fussy abt decreased milk supply but now its back up...is it normal to bleed so many days for the first post-partum period? I'm going on to the 7th day! Still fresh blood :-/

I always had a lot of soreness with PMS.

At first, your cycles may be irregular and heavy. My periods after giving birth have unfortunately been heavier and longer than before. This continued long after the first PP AFs, unfortunately. But this doesn't happen to everyone. You'll just have to wait and see. If it goes on much longer than a week, I might just check with your doc?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.